Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
davyvfr
macrumors regular

Sleep Button Unresponsive

Hello,

I have an Iphone 5 16GB and it worked fine from day one. Now, half a month later after getting it, the sleep/wake button is nearly flush with the phone (like it got pushed in) and only works half the time. I have the OtterBox Defender Series case and noticed that I would have to push harder to have it work. Sometimes, only one side would work of the sleep/wake button and the other wouldn't. Should I most likely get it checked by a Genius? I have an appointment tomorrow for my Ipad 3 (wifi issues). I assume this button should work no matter if its pressed dead center, left side or right side.
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
Hello,

I have an Iphone 5 16GB and it worked fine from day one. Now, half a month later after getting it, the sleep/wake button is nearly flush with the phone (like it got pushed in) and only works half the time. I have the OtterBox Defender Series case and noticed that I would have to push harder to have it work. Sometimes, only one side would work of the sleep/wake button and the other wouldn't. Should I most likely get it checked by a Genius? I have an appointment tomorrow for my Ipad 3 (wifi issues). I assume this button should work no matter if its pressed dead center, left side or right side.
I got my phone replaced today because of that. Only one side would work sometime.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:54 PM   #3
RealPhone
macrumors newbie

Why not adress this issue directly to Apple.....
RealPhone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:16 PM   #4
ericDylan
macrumors regular

I have this same issue. The problem does not occur all the time, but when it does it lasts long enough to be problematic.

I am worried a trip the the genius bar would be wasted because there is no guarantee that the problem could be reproduced. another problem is that my phone is mildly cracked. It is not shattered into a million pieces, but it is cracked, so even if they can reproduce the problem, they may blame it on the drop that cracked the screen.

Anyone have any experience getting a warranty replacement with a cracked screen for a completely independent issue?
ericDylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
TannerH
macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me. The genius just replaced it.
TannerH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
davyvfr
macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I am going tomorrow to get it fixed. I compared it to two other brand new iPhone 5's at my house and both did not have this problem. Other than that, the phone works really nice.
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:40 PM   #7
thefugitivemind
macrumors newbie

yep, same thing happened to me last week got it replaced no question asked
thefugitivemind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened to my friends launch i5. About 1 month after, it started getting hard to press. Then progressively worse. Until one day i saw him really struggling with it. I said, you should really get that replaced man lol.
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #9
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am going tomorrow to get it fixed. I compared it to two other brand new iPhone 5's at my house and both did not have this problem. Other than that, the phone works really nice.
Back it up first. There is no fix. You'll be getting a replacement.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone