Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:04 PM   #26
phillyi
macrumors member

I am on an Att unlimited data plan and have been using tetherme and have not received a notice yet (*knock on wood*). But for what its worth not sure if what you are tethering matters...as i only tether my kids' ipod touches whenever we go somewhere in the car/places.
phillyi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:16 AM   #27
tks18
macrumors newbie

My Att tether text using PdaNet March 11, 2013

"ATT Free Msg: Your data usage is near 3GB this month. Exceeding 3GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you will still be able to email & surf the web. Wi-Fi helps you avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info."
tks18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:32 AM   #28
TC25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tks18 View Post
"ATT Free Msg: Your data usage is near 3GB this month. Exceeding 3GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you will still be able to email & surf the web. Wi-Fi helps you avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info."
This is news?
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:25 PM   #29
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tks18 View Post
That is not a tether text.
That's just telling you that you used up your 3GB softcap on your unlimited data plan and till the end of the billing cycle your speeds will be throttled.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:28 PM   #30
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I occasionally used MyWi on my iPhone 4 when I had it...Seldomly connected my iPad on travel and would use it in stores that didn't have WiFi and I wanted to log on to a computer to check things (looking at you Frys & Best Buy!!!).

I never had any texts or notices from AT&T about this use.

Then, in July of 2012, I was helping a coworker out that had no internet and tethered their laptop via USB. Didn't even have that good of a signal, just turned on MyWi for about 5 minutes or so. That evening I got the "free text" stating that I was not on a tethering plan and they were going to switch me into one if I continued to tether without paying them the required $50/mo for 5gb of data tethering plan.

I called them up, plead my case that I have unlimited data it shouldn't matter what I do with it, they stated I was using my phone in an unauthorized manner and they could cancel my plan. I said I would no longer tether and to NOT upgrade my plan with the $50 additional per month tethering plan.

I have not tethered since. It didn't matter much to me anyway as I got an iPhone 5 in September and haven't been able to tether until the phone was jailbroken.

Since then anyway, I've gone another route and have a 4G USB Verizon card with unlimited useage as I refuse to give AT&T another cent. Especially since I am still unlimited yet "throttled" at 5GB on LTE!
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks