Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Not really, a 24" display with 1920 x 1200 pixel or 23" display with 1920 x 1080 pixel or a 27" display with 2560 x 1440 pixel or a 30" display with 2560 x 1600 pixel will do just fine.

I see...

so i found these;

Dell UltraSharp U2410
Samsung SyncMaster S24A850DW
ASUS PA248Q - LED monitor
Samsung SyncMaster S24A450BW-1

----------

also might consider the Asus ASUS PB278Q - LED monitor - 27

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I see...

so i found these;

Dell UltraSharp U2410
Samsung SyncMaster S24A850DW
ASUS PA248Q - LED monitor
Samsung SyncMaster S24A450BW-1

----------

also might consider the Asus ASUS PB278Q - LED monitor - 27

The U2410 is aimed at professionals who need color accuracy. If you're not one of those people, it's meaningless, and the U2412M is the better (and cheaper) model. If you need the colors though, Dell recently updated the U2410 to the U2413, although it's currently more expensive.

What exactly are you looking for in an external? Professional image work? Gaming? Just something for general use?

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
just general use, my main concern is to not have any blurry text from what I'm hearing.

I don't even do gaming either.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Mmm...if you've gotten used to the Retina and your standards are high, you're not going to have much luck. I think you'll be ok with just about any IPS monitor though, although if stuff like anti-glare coating bothers you, I would stick with glossy. The most reputable non-professional/gaming monitors would probably be from Dell, Apple, and maybe HP/Viewsonic. Asus isn't bad per say though, but they seem to have some QC and backlight bleed issues.

You don't need wide gamut and super color accuracy, just look for something that is decent with sRGB. A good stand can be helpful too (that's adjustable), but if you're going to use a VESA mount or something, then as long as it's VESA compliant, it's not a big deal.

A Dell Ultrasharp U2412M is a good place to start.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Well, there is also a Dell for non-professionals: the Dell S2440L.
71Rxl2LaOOL._AA1500_.jpg
51Wny%2BoRt%2BL._AA1305_.jpg

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009

This is another monitor aimed at professionals. I mean, there's nothing stopping you from buying, and potentially enjoying it, it's just that you'll be spending more money for something that doesn't actually benefit you...

The Dell that Giuly posted is considered to be "super glossy" by even glossy standards, so if that bothers you, that could be an issue. You also lose the viewing angle advantage you get from IPS (S440L is a VA panel I believe). It's not necessarily a bad monitor though.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
This is another monitor aimed at professionals. I mean, there's nothing stopping you from buying, and potentially enjoying it, it's just that you'll be spending more money for something that doesn't actually benefit you...

The Dell that Giuly posted is considered to be "super glossy" by even glossy standards, so if that bothers you, that could be an issue. You also lose the viewing angle advantage you get from IPS (S440L is a VA panel I believe). It's not necessarily a bad monitor though.

after much more research I think i will go for the ASUS PA246Q

my next question is, do I need to get any adapters or anything like that to get the best resolution out of it?

Thanks,

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009

my next question is, do I need to get any adapters or anything like that to get the best resolution out of it?

Thanks,

Get a thunderbolt/MDP to Displayport adaptor. I'm pretty sure 1200p is supported by all of the inputs aside from VGA, but from what I've read, DP seems to give the least amount of issues to mac users. If you encounter problems, you could try a TB/MDP to DVI adaptor.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks,

For the price you're paying for that Asus 24", maybe consider getting this one instead (especially if you have a Microcenter store nearby so you can see it in person):

http://microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Its a 27" 2560x1440 res IPS monitor that supposedly uses the same panel as the Apple Thunderbolt display, but for only $400. Granted, the casing and stand is cheaper than the Thunderbolt display obviously, but you save $600...

GD0X

Mar 20, 2011
For the price you're paying for that Asus 24", maybe consider getting this one instead (especially if you have a Microcenter store nearby so you can see it in person):

Its a 27" 2560x1440 res IPS monitor that supposedly uses the same panel as the Apple Thunderbolt display, but for only $400. Granted, the casing and stand is cheaper than the Thunderbolt display obviously, but you save $600...

I was going to suggest the same. In fact, I bought one of these two days ago. Amazing product... Excellent picture (reminds me of retina)... But as stated, a cheap outer casing. But that doesn't subtract from the performance displayed... On this display. Haha

I love it, especially with all the extra on screen real estate space. Upgraded from an I-inc 27" 1980x1200 or 1080.... Huge improvement. Cannot discern individual pixels any longer.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012

Funny that you mention this, I was actually at a MC this weekend and saw this, not bad, not the best looking display but the performance is definitely there.

Also i am able to get a used Dell ultra shape 27" for $450, this is thing is about 5 weeks old and the seller is moving out of state and doesnt want to bring it with him.

Therefore now i am considering these 2 options over the Asus

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Unless the only thing you care about is pure price/performance ratio, I actually wouldn't get the Korean IPS monitors (which is what the microcenter one is), even with the one year warranty.

If you're able to get a Dell U2712HM (which is what I assume that model is) and don't mind the crosshatching issues with it, that is probably your best bet. Neither of these are as easy on your eyes as a retina screen, but the text is sharp enough for most to be happy with.

maxacw

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
So what about the Mac thunder bolt? If im using an GTX690 graphics card- P8Z77 ASUS MOTHER BOARD WITH SSD & 16 GB . Cause i bought the asus MX279H 27" and was very dissapointed with the blurness no matter how much settings i change or the cables (VGA/DVI/HDMI)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.