Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I wasn't planning on buying the EVF either... I was also planning on just doing a lot of manual focusing with an inexpensive adapter to use all of my nikon lenses, but here I am with a couple of primes for the e-mount, and probably $900 less in my wallet for having picked up the primes and the EVF. I'm also having a great time, taking more pictures than ever, and really liking the results, though, so I'm certainly not upset about it.

I don't know exactly what you'd be looking for in terms of whether I think the 5mm is of 'overall higher quality' than the 50mm, so I'm not sure quite how to answer that question. When I first got each of them, I did some side-by-side shooting against the 35mm/1.8 nikon that I tend to love on my Nikon D7000, as well as the 50mm/1.8D that I also tend to like on my Nikons. I found the results to be comparable in both cases, meaning that I could see slight differences, but they were subtle and nothing that would make me choose the nikons vs. the sony's based on IQ alone. When handled properly, all of those lenses will give you fantastic results, and the shallow depth of field and low-ligh capabilities are lovely and helpful, respectively. The Sonys each have IS, so they should technically allow you to shoot in even lower light conditions than the Nikons would.

So, given that I feel the IQ is pretty solid for both the 35 mm and the 50mm, the question is really which focal length you feel is more useful when paired with the APS-C sized crop-sensor of the NEX series. I love the more portrait-oriented 50mm length on that sized sensor, though I find it to be a little too long to just leave on the camera for walking around and not feel like I'm wishing for something a little wider. The 35 mm has, for me, been a pretty good compromise. In a pinch if I'm looking for the same portrait type shot but only have the 35mm, I'll stand at the distance for the perspective I'd want if I had the 50 mm, and then just plan on cropping a bit later. For many uses, there are enough pixels to support this if you take care when shooting.

The 35mm is also a fair bit smaller, and that adds to the feeling of portability. It also seems to hunt a bit more on the autofocus, which is the only downside I see vs. the 50 mm. Not a deal-breaker, or even a big deal, just something I've noticed.

If you're leaning towards the 35 mm focal length, I think you'll like the 35mm sony lens. Another plug for the NEX-5 series vs. the 3 is the articulating screen, which also comes in pretty handy.

Oh, I meant in terms of overall image quality/sharpness/distortion, but it seems like they're very similar in that way?

The 3N does have an articulating screen too, but the 5's is a touch screen. On the 3N, you have to use the control wheel to navigate.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
As far as the NEX-7... There are a couple of things I wish it had:
  1. Dual SD cards (I like mirror mode)
  2. Integrated GPS
  3. Better/easier menu system

/Jim

Dual SD cards would provide security but might make the body larger. I want to keep that small size.

I agree completely on the GPS and menus. I had a few hundred pix that I hadn't geotagged and wanted to. Took awhile. My iPhone does it automatically. The larger camera should be able to also.

My wife has a Sony point and shoot and the menus on it suck more than the Nex-7.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Oh, I meant in terms of overall image quality/sharpness/distortion, but it seems like they're very similar in that way?

The 3N does have an articulating screen too, but the 5's is a touch screen. On the 3N, you have to use the control wheel to navigate.

Yes, I'd say the quality/sharpness/distortion between the 35mm and 50mm/1.8 sonys are pretty similar. I feel like in my research on the web I found a number of reports lauding the 35 over the 50 in terms of overall quality, but in my experience I've found them both to be great.

I hadn't realized that the 3N had the articulating screen, or that the new articulating screens go up 180 degrees on the new bodies, and down to an even greater extent on the 5R than the 5N does (not sure if the 3N tilts down). Both up and down articulation ends up being pretty useful for shots I take while on travel, and is a nice improvement.

The touch screen certainly isn't a must-have for the camera, as I find it easier to control most things through the hardware buttons myself. The one feature it does give you, though, is the ability to touch the screen to select a focus point when in multi-focus mode, and that's in many ways extremely convenient and an improvement even over the way I focus on my DSLRs with the selector on the back. The screen of the 5N/5R itself is also about twice the resolution as on the 3N, and given that that's the way you both compose and review images, that would seem to add a fair bit of value. If you're not planning on using the kit lens much or at all, I think the 5R body only is only about $50 more than the 3N, so these things could make it worth it to take the step up. Either way, I think you'll be happy with the system.

breezie

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
If you're not really needing high shutter speed and have no interest in buying a lot of lenses - why not get the Sony RX100 II? It has great low light performance.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks everyone for your advice on this.

I bought the 3N with the 16-50mm zoom for $400. Very happy with it so far, and the image quality is markedly better than the G12. I couldn't believe how compact the retracting 16-50mm lens is...probably going to keep that and add the 50mm f/1.8 or wait and see what other lenses come out for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.