Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:07 PM   #126
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

These tweets cracked me up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 1.06.18 PM.png
Views:	8
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	429096  
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:10 PM   #127
Carlanga
macrumors 601

why couldn't the cops shoot him in the legs, just use the whole clip on the legs or at least try?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:30 PM   #128
fat jez
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
why couldn't the cops shoot him in the legs, just use the whole clip on the legs or at least try?
Even that is excessive. You sever an artery, he's just as dead. There was an officer armed with a taser, that should have been used in preference to discharging a firearm.
fat jez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:50 PM   #129
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat jez View Post
Even that is excessive. You sever an artery, he's just as dead. There was an officer armed with a taser, that should have been used in preference to discharging a firearm.
Yes, is still less lethal than a body shot and bleeding could be easier to stop
The tazer policeman was not at the scene until later. The guy was about to get out of the vehicle or drive it so they had to stop him ATM.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:55 PM   #130
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't think the Toronto police use firearms with clips.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:15 PM   #131
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Yes, is still less lethal than a body shot and bleeding could be easier to stop
The tazer policeman was not at the scene until later. The guy was about to get out of the vehicle or drive it so they had to stop him ATM.
He was spaced out, mumbling and carrying a knife all of three inches long. There is no evidence that he was either about to drive the bus or about to disembark.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:33 PM   #132
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
I don't think the Toronto police use firearms with clips.
Ooh...Carlanga, you made a terrible mistake! The gun folks here love it when posters misuse, or confuse, the designations "clip" and "magazine". They then get to point out how ignorant the writer is because he/she doesn't know the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine", and therefore anything they say is to be ignored.

Canadian LEO (a quick search indicated) use semi-automatics...so you should have said "magazine".

Oh, for shame...such a display of ignorance!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 01:59 PM   #133
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
He was spaced out, mumbling and carrying a knife all of three inches long. There is no evidence that he was either about to drive the bus or about to disembark.
so wait, you are saying people atm of the shooting of the perpetrator that saw him being spaced out and mumbling? I guess there were many people really close to him that could have injured them by a thrown knife since they were so close they could hear him mumbling or are these other cops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Ooh...Carlanga, you made a terrible mistake! The gun folks here love it when posters misuse, or confuse, the designations "clip" and "magazine". They then get to point out how ignorant the writer is because he/she doesn't know the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine", and therefore anything they say is to be ignored.

Canadian LEO (a quick search indicated) use semi-automatics...so you should have said "magazine".

Oh, for shame...such a display of ignorance!
lmao, but wait I read magazines.

While I guess that is true definition for gun owners for which I'm clearly not one, I guess they should also fight the dictionary. To me they both are similar I guess because both hold bullets, if not, then to increase my knowledge what are clips and magazines as a whole called, what category and why is the dictionary wrong?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
Old Aug 19, 2013, 04:30 PM   #134
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
so wait, you are saying people atm of the shooting of the perpetrator that saw him being spaced out and mumbling? I guess there were many people really close to him that could have injured them by a thrown knife since they were so close they could hear him mumbling or are these other cops?
Some of the police were standing close enough, yes. You can see and hear a lot of it in the video.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:14 PM   #135
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why so touchy?!?! I was only pointing out a fact, not trying to berate anyone.

Quote:
Also, just because a firearm is semi-automatic doesn't necessarily mean it uses a magazine it could use a clip, magazine or even a belt it just depends on the model of firearm.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:41 PM   #136
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
While I guess that is true definition for gun owners for which I'm clearly not one, I guess they should also fight the dictionary. To me they both are similar I guess because both hold bullets, if not, then to increase my knowledge what are clips and magazines as a whole called, what category and why is the dictionary wrong?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm

Just on a general side note. The majority of modern production handguns today use magazines not clips. However there are many examples of clip loaded handguns throughout history.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:50 PM   #137
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
For as long as he was not within five feet and/or off the bus steps running this was unnecessary force.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:08 PM   #138
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:

Just on a general side note. The majority of modern production handguns today use magazines not clips. However there are many examples of clip loaded handguns throughout history.
So a magazine is 4 walls and a spring vs a clip is 1 wall, both hold bullets and they both go inside the gun/pistol/whatever and serve the purpose of loading it. What are they called then as a whole, bullet holders? I'm seriously asking.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:23 PM   #139
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So a magazine is 4 walls and a spring vs a clip is 1 wall, both hold bullets and they both go inside the gun/pistol/whatever and serve the purpose of loading it. What are they called then as a whole, bullet holders? I'm seriously asking.
Not all clips go into the gun. For example, the en-bloc clip on the M1 Garand does fit inside of the gun and is ejected after the last round is fired. However with stripper clips they are normally used to load the gun directly but not inserted into the gun during operation they can also be used to load magazines.

For example: http://youtu.be/Esegl2jWmoc?t=1m45s

A magazine is normally fitted into the firearm and when empty replaced with a full one.

There are many variations to this.

Last edited by lostngone; Aug 19, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
lostngone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:37 PM   #140
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Not all clips go into the gun. For example, the en-bloc on the M1 Garand does fit inside of the gun and is ejected after the last round is fired. However with stripper clips they are normally used to load the gun directly but not inserted into the gun during operation they can also me used to load magazine.

For example: http://youtu.be/Esegl2jWmoc?t=1m45s

A magazine is normally fitted into the firearm and when empty replaced with a full one.

There are many variations to this.
I went into the website from where you took the pic and they had a good explanation:
"A magazine is what is used to feed the weapon itself, whereas a clip is used to feed the magazine. Clips make loading of magazines much easier and faster, and in some cases, a clip is required in order for the magazine to work (e.g. M1 Garand)."

So my understanding of this is that ALL firearms have a magazine, just that some are non-removable. While clips are optional for faster loading of bullet to the gun if possible. Then, if I got this right, an old school revolver would have for example a magazine w/ 5-6 individual compartments for each round and a clip could then be used to hold all 5-6 bullets so you can load them all at the same time to the barrel shape magazine on the revolver.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:49 PM   #141
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I went into the website from where you took the pic and they had a good explanation:
"A magazine is what is used to feed the weapon itself, whereas a clip is used to feed the magazine. Clips make loading of magazines much easier and faster, and in some cases, a clip is required in order for the magazine to work (e.g. M1 Garand)."

So my understanding of this is that ALL firearms have a magazine, just that some are non-removable. While clips are optional for faster loading of bullet to the gun if possible. Then, if I got this right, an old school revolver would have for example a magazine w/ 5-6 individual compartments for each round and a clip could then be used to hold all 5-6 bullets so you can load them all at the same time to the barrel shape magazine on the revolver.
Yes most firearms have magazines, there are a cases like belt-fed firearms that do not have them. With revolvers they are normally called chambers so a "6-shooter" would have 6 chambers for example.

Last edited by lostngone; Aug 19, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
lostngone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:35 PM   #142
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So my understanding of this is that ALL firearms have a magazine, just that some are non-removable..
You just brought up my favorite compromise solution to gun violence in the United States.

You can have any style of gun you want. But the magazine has to be fixed, loadable one bullet at a time, and limited to six bullets maximum.

If it was good enough to "win the West" it should be good enough for anybody.

This would make shooting a gun a more deliberative act. It would make shooting sprees far more difficult, while still allowing people to protect themselves with a firearm.

I know it's waaay to restrictive for the gun advocates to accept, but I think it would be a positive and responsible step towards limiting firearms.
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:29 PM   #143
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

On another general side note, WWII vets always preferred the slang usage "clip" for a small box magazine like the one on the right in the picture. Maybe even back then, their drill sergeants insisted they use the term "magazine". Maybe that is why, in fact, they always said "clip".
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues