Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tictaktwonk101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I going to be getting something!!! But what.

So I'm running a 13" Mbp 2.3 i5 dual core 4G ram at the moment.

I like messing around on FCPX and motion so the problem I'm having is what should I get a specked out Mac mini ( I only have a HDMI Tv) or should I get an imac I could only afford a base model maybe the increase in ram.

I know neither will be great at either program but I'm no pro so just for fun what do you all think.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i always loved the iMac, but never liked the price and size of screen. At least with mini you can buy any size screen for much cheaper. Last time I had a mini it was hooked up to a 32inch samsung hdtv and it was awesome!

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Are there HDMI issues?

Not since the latest update which fixed the hdmi issues.

I also recommend the mini because for me when i upgrade it just means getting a new mac mini and keeping my 27" thunderbolt display. Just picked up a new one last night the mid range quad core and dropped 2 240gb ssd's in and 16gb ram and performance is great for such a compact unit.

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
imo the only thing the imac will do better is graphics intensive work since the imacs have dedicated gpu's whereas the mini's only have the intel hd4000 on die gpu.

tictaktwonk101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I suppose it's only the gpu putting me off.

I have been using hd3000 how much of a jump is hd4000?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.