Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JStok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Hello,
I was recently thinking about getting an iPod touch 5th generation (32 gig). Would it be worth it when I already own an ipad 2? I want something I can put in my pocket. I would be playing games, listening to music, going on Facebook, and messaging. If anyone has any other devices in mind that I should get please let me know.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Hello,
I was recently thinking about getting an iPod touch 5th generation (32 gig). Would it be worth it when I already own an ipad 2? I want something I can put in my pocket. I would be playing games, listening to music, going on Facebook, and messaging. If anyone has any other devices in mind that I should get please let me know.

It's a totally different device, so if you want it, get it! You're essentially getting an iPhone without the phone part, and it is a lot like an iPad you can carry in your pocket.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I own an iPad2, an iPad Mini, and a 5th Gen Touch. I use the touch all day long at work. It is also my main camera device now. I carry it with me where ever I go. An outdated DroidX is my phone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If you want something that fits in your pocket the touch is a great choice. I love my 5th gen. It's been all over the country with me.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I agree with what was said above, that portability makes the iPod Touch a great device to have in additional to your iPad.

However, if you also own a cell phone, you will soon discover that having to bring around an iPod Touch AND a cell phone is not the most enjoyable experience. That leads to the next question, should you get an iPhone instead? A used one off craiglist would be the most economical way to go. This way you don't have to subscribe to a data plan. Use it as a phone only for calls, and as an iPod Touch (wifi) for everything else.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i have an ipad 4, iPad mini and an ipod touch 4G. they all serve different purposes. i would go for it.

ikev85

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
Do you have a smartphone already? If you don't then absolutely.

It has a much better camera than your iPad as well, both front and back.

You may want to get a case or something for it though, it's very very thin and I've dropped mine a few times because of the weight and thinness.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I own an iPad2, an iPad Mini, and a 5th Gen Touch. I use the touch all day long at work. It is also my main camera device now. I carry it with me where ever I go. An outdated DroidX is my phone.

You should have just combined mini and touch 5 = Iphone 5.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hello,
Is it worth it? That is up to you, however, it is quite reasonable to have an iPad and either an iPod Touch or an iPhone. And in some circumstances all 3.

The advantage of having both as iOS devices is that you get the iCloud syncing for apps that support that. Most apps are the same for both, so if it's an app that costs money, you only pay once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.