Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
You are taking my post out of context. I was simply listing the tradeoffs of a bigger screens. I was not trying to create reasons why the iPhone shouldn't have a bigger screen. Because I don't care if the screen size changes or stays the same.

Exactly! Half an inch even! Which is why all these arguments that Apple needs to increase screen size or else are so ridiculous to me. :D

Do you really think that they would reduce the pixel density of a new, bigger iPhone? That seems unreasonable to me.

You don't get my post because I am telling you there are no tradeoffs. You act like this would be some huge deal for Apple to make a bigger screen. It's not. And no Apple would not make the pixel density smaller. That is not what I was saying at all. I am saying they would add more pixels with the bigger screen. Apple want make a bigger iphone with tradeoffs it just want happen.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You don't get my post because I am telling you there are no tradeoffs.

Claiming there are no tradeoffs is simply wrong.

You act like this would be some huge deal for Apple to make a bigger screen.

That's the part that you made up. I didn't say or imply that is was some "huge deal". I just said that there are tradeoffs.

And no Apple would not make the pixel density smaller. That is not what I was saying at all. I am saying they would add more pixels with the bigger screen.

What you actually said was "they would do the same thing that they did with the ipad mini, and developers change nothing." The iPad mini has the same number of pixels as the iPad 2. If they add more pixels to a bigger iPhone, developers will have to change something. If they don't add more pixels, it would be a lower pixel density.

Apple want make a bigger iphone with tradeoffs it just want happen.

I don't know what that was supposed to mean.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Let's see.. shrinking laptop/desktop market.. and people are moving more over to tablet/smart phone than ever before? And it's only going to continue?
And out of those people, some people might want some hybrid solution? Why is this simple concept(of apple needing to go multiple screen size) so hard to understand?

You will watch apple eat up all their words on insisting one screen fits in next 2 years.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Claiming there are no tradeoffs is simply wrong.

That's the part that you made up. I didn't say or imply that is was some "huge deal". I just said that there are tradeoffs.

What you actually said was "they would do the same thing that they did with the ipad mini, and developers change nothing." The iPad mini has the same number of pixels as the iPad 2. If they add more pixels to a bigger iPhone, developers will have to change something. If they don't add more pixels, it would be a lower pixel density.

I don't know what that was supposed to mean.

Really there are tradeoffs because what you listed as tradeoffs were not tradeoffs at all. You posted all these tradeoffs like they have to make all these sacrifices if they made the bigger iphone.

Yes with the ipad mini they did not change pixel density, but if developers would have no issue making apps that fit the new screen size. You know that new OS iOS 7 that is coming this fall? Yea developers are having to build apps just for that. Does not seems to be a big deal does it?

You saying there are tradeoffs implies that they would be giving up something to make a bigger screen iphone. Tell what would have to be giving up on the iPhone to make a 1/2 inch to inch bigger phone?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Give it a break

It strikes me, on this long thread of late, that its usually one or two guys arguing back, and forth, getting no where fast. Don't you have anything better to do to continue this back and forth ? :(

Apple will do what Apple does. End of discussion

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Really there are tradeoffs because what you listed as tradeoffs were not tradeoffs at all. You posted all these tradeoffs like they have to make all these sacrifices if they made the bigger iphone.

You seem to be making up your own definition of tradeoff. They absolutely do need to make concessions in the areas that I mentioned in order to make a bigger phone. It's a simple fact.

Just because you keep dismissing the tradeoffs as not a big deal, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Yes with the ipad mini they did not change pixel density,

Yes, they did.

but if developers would have no issue making apps that fit the new screen size. You know that new OS iOS 7 that is coming this fall? Yea developers are having to build apps just for that. Does not seems to be a big deal does it?

Big deal? I never said it was. That's the part that you keep making up.

It's all relative. Some developers will consider it a big deal. Some won't. But it will require work by all developers in order for their apps to support the new size.

You saying there are tradeoffs implies that they would be giving up something to make a bigger screen iphone. Tell what would have to be giving up on the iPhone to make a 1/2 inch to inch bigger phone?

:confused: All the things I listed already. (None of which do I think are deal breakers.)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
You seem to be making up your own definition of tradeoff. They absolutely do need to make concessions in the areas that I mentioned in order to make a bigger phone. It's a simple fact.

Just because you keep dismissing the tradeoffs as not a big deal, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Yes, they did.

Big deal? I never said it was. That's the part that you keep making up.

It's all relative. Some developers will consider it a big deal. Some won't. But it will require work by all developers in order for their apps to support the new size.

:confused: All the things I listed already. (None of which do I think are deal breakers.)

So this what in the crap is your definition of tradeoff? What does that mean? The last time I checked it means that if you want one thing you are going to have to trade something for it. This is the Webster dictionary definition of tradeoff "1. the exchange of one thing for another of more or less equal value, especially to effect a compromise." To me it sounds like a compromise. None of those things you listed would you be compromising anything. Maybe you have a new definition of tradeoff?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So this what in the crap is your definition of tradeoff? What does that mean? The last time I checked it means that if you want one thing you are going to have to trade something for it. This is the Webster dictionary definition of tradeoff "1. the exchange of one thing for another of more or less equal value, especially to effect a compromise." To me it sounds like a compromise. None of those things you listed would you be compromising anything. Maybe you have a new definition of tradeoff?

:confused: How are they not tradeoffs?

-A bigger screen would likely result in a bigger and heavier phone, all other things being equal.
-A bigger screen would likely have more pixels requiring more processing power and more battery power.
-A bigger screen would make it harder to use one handed.
-A bigger screen would require developers to redesign their apps.
-A bigger screen would require developers to support an additional screen size.
-Multiple screen sizes on new iPhones would split engineering focus (if in addition to smaller phone).

None of these statements is controversial. They are all common sense. I don't think that any of them will prevent Apple from making a larger iPhone if they want to. That doesn't mean these tradeoffs don't exist.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

-A bigger screen would likely result in a bigger and heavier phone, all other things being equal.
-A bigger screen would likely have more pixels requiring more processing power and more battery power.
-Multiple screen sizes on new iPhones would split engineering focus (if in addition to smaller phone).

None of these statements is controversial. They are all common sense. I don't think that any of them will prevent Apple from making a larger iPhone if they want to. That doesn't mean these tradeoffs don't exist.

So wait one minute you are saying tradeoffs don't mean compromises, and now they are. Which is it?

Lets do this again

- big and heavier. Again how is this a tradeoff from what we have now? Some may say heavier is not better, but I don't care. What are you compromising? A bigger phone in size that just means more screen to look at and use. Heavier how is that a compromise? Is lighter always better than heavier?

- power and batter life. How is a bigger processor a tradeoff? I would not mind a bigger processor. Not that we need one, but it does not seem there would be a compromise. The phone would be bigger so they could fit a bigger battery in it. Again what are we losing to gain that screen?

- one handed use. That all depends on the size of your hand. It is a compromise that I have to take to use the current iphone. Me and many others choose to take that compromise to have the iPhone. So it all depends on the person whether it would be a compromise or not.

- redesign apps. Is this a compromise or tradeoff? Again what are we losing/giving up? iOS 7 requires redesigns is that a bad thing? What will we lose by this as consumers? I think the apps will just look different right?

- different screen sizes. Once again what are we giving up? There will still be a "normal" size iphone, but a bigger one too. I don't know how this is costing anyone anything.

- split engineers focus. Again look at the ipad mini and ipad. Has the mini hurt the ipad? No it has not. We have lost nothing. It will only be a screen size difference not OS. How does that change the way the engineer it?

Please this time pay attention to what I write because all you did was repeat what you said before. It holds no weight I just proved that again.

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013

A bigger screen has a bigger battery ...

Ios7 has features to resize to screen size ... No devs won't have to develop to a new screen size.

Bigger screen is not heavier in real world usuage either

Tree2u

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Because that is the "trend" and I think it is safe to say what "some" people want.... Two screen sizes would make people happy!!

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
It strikes me, on this long thread of late, that its usually one or two guys arguing back, and forth, getting no where fast. Don't you have anything better to do to continue this back and forth ? :(

Apple will do what Apple does. End of discussion

Aww, if we can't debate on screen size, this would be a boring place! If all we said is that apple will do what they do and we shouldn't have our own wants, this would be a boring place!

I would like to bicker against you to extend this thread!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Please this time pay attention to what I write because all you did was repeat what you said before. It holds no weight I just proved that again.

That's a fantastic demonstration of logic. First you acknowledge that the tradeoff/compromise exists. Second, you say some/most people won't care. Third, you conclude that there is no tradeoff/compromise. Truly dizzying.

Are you one of those people that believe the only reason Apple doesn't release a bigger iPhone is stubbornness? :rolleyes:

----------

Because that is the "trend" and I think it is safe to say what "some" people want.... Two screen sizes would make people happy!!

We already have two screen sizes. People aren't happy. :D

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
That's a fantastic demonstration of logic. First you acknowledge that the tradeoff/compromise exists. Second, you say some/most people won't care. Third, you conclude that there is no tradeoff/compromise. Truly dizzying.

Are you one of those people that believe the only reason Apple doesn't release a bigger iPhone is stubbornness? :rolleyes:

----------

We already have two screen sizes. People aren't happy. :D

You are the one who I can't follow. One minute you say that tradeoff and compromise are different then went back and say they mean somewhat of the same thing.

I did not ever once acknowledge anything remotely close to a compromise. Now you are putting words in my mouth. What I did say was that the size of the iPhone now is a compromise for me not Apple. If they made a bigger phone then it would be a compromise for others wanted a one handed phone. Again not for Apple because it would take nothing away from what they offer now. A compromise for me or you has nothing to do with Apple. So sorry you missed that one.

Also nice of you to avoid everyone of your points you tried to make and I proved a none issue or compromise.

BeK

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
I'm glad that Apple finally chose to "smarten up" and make a bigger phone. My 6 Plus should arrive in the mail this week. Thanks again Apple! ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.