Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
TS, I'm probably going to get this done on my sparse goatee stubble. I hate shaving, I don't have enough hair to grow a decent goatee but the hairs I do have are really coarse and really thick. Sandpaper doesn't even begin to describe it. More like sharkskin.

Anyway, there are several online accounts of guys with insanely coarse beards who decided to get their facial hair lasered off and had good overall results.

The main issue seems to be the hairs that are very close to the lips.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
How old are you? If you are early 20's I'd say wait, you may end up with more facial hair down the road.

I used to think I'd always shave but now I usually always have some sort of beard or thick stubble.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Just live with it. I only shave maybe once or twice a week.

Use quality pre-shave cream, top quality shaving soap or creams (not that foam in a can stuff), a good badger brush and a decent safety razor.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
:confused:

Manliness depends on facial hair?

We all know its based on penis size!

How old are you? If you are early 20's I'd say wait, you may end up with more facial hair down the road.

I used to think I'd always shave but now I usually always have some sort of beard or thick stubble.

If you mean me, 42. I think I have all that I will ever get. Hair is a funny thing. Losing it on my head but a new crop is coming in nicely on my ears and in my butt crack/lower back. Sorry ladies, I'm taken!!!

wintosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Now a year after this thread, did you get a laser treatment to your beard? how things went?

Not everyone has the same "beard experience" people who shave once a week are lucky and don't need any treatment. in my case, I need to shave everyday, though I usually skip a day. and it is painful to shave. I use electric shaver, I used razors , but my skin is sensitive and often it gets bloody.

To some, Shaving is like going to war. you don't know if you are going to survive this time.

However, I don't want to remove all of my beard, I hope to thin it out so it can become easier. because even when I shave, the shadow of my beard is still mighty and looks like a fully grown beard almost. Wonder if one/two sessions of IPL can thin it out, still searching. anyone has an experience with that?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Now a year after this thread, did you get a laser treatment to your beard? how things went?

Not everyone has the same "beard experience" people who shave once a week are lucky and don't need any treatment. in my case, I need to shave everyday, though I usually skip a day. and it is painful to shave. I use electric shaver, I used razors , but my skin is sensitive and often it gets bloody.

To some, Shaving is like going to war. you don't know if you are going to survive this time.

However, I don't want to remove all of my beard, I hope to thin it out so it can become easier. because even when I shave, the shadow of my beard is still mighty and looks like a fully grown beard almost. Wonder if one/two sessions of IPL can thin it out, still searching. anyone has an experience with that?
I was told I wouldn't get good results based on my hair type and skin type so I didn't do it. Interested to hear if u do anything and how it works out.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I've only been shaving for 10 years and while it can get annoying I wouldn't consider removing the hair.

I don't think a lot of men do it because the face is a very sensitive area with lots of nerves. It would be more expensive, painful, and take multiple procedures. I've seen how laser work is done and wouldn't want that on my face.

wintosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
I was told I wouldn't get good results based on my hair type and skin type so I didn't do it. Interested to hear if u do anything and how it works out.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm going to try Tria laser removal, I already ordered it and should be here this week. I will not laser my beard using that. just body hair, but I ll continue to search if I can find a way to thin out my beard hair. my hair is black and skin tone is fair, so it should work in my case.

You could try electrolysis which works with any skin tone and hair color. but it is quite expensive.

Thanks for the reply

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Sorry to hear that.

I'm going to try Tria laser removal, I already ordered it and should be here this week. I will not laser my beard using that. just body hair, but I ll continue to search if I can find a way to thin out my beard hair. my hair is black and skin tone is fair, so it should work in my case.

You could try electrolysis which works with any skin tone and hair color. but it is quite expensive.

Thanks for the reply

You too, keep me updated if you don't mind.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I'd happily get my neck lazered. Facial hair is only cool when it's on your face. A thick coat of neck hair just make you look like a slovenly bastard who doesn't give half a damn about anything.

That sounds like a decent idea then. I hate shaving my neck beard.

Renzatic

Suspended
That sounds like a decent idea then. I hate shaving my neck beard.

Same here. Shaving my cheeks and goatee area takes a minute or so of very little effort, and the results are always smooth and close. My neck? The hair grows thicker there, so I have to make at least 3 passes before it starts looking and feeling smooth.

And what does multiple passes give you? Razor burn. I have sensitive skin, so I get some vicious cases of it. I'd say two out of every 5 shaves gives me an angry red splotchy neck, and that's with a fresh razor. If I use the same blades two or three times, I'm practically guaranteed to end up looking like I've got a birthmark on my neck. The only sliver lining to all this is my beard grows a little slowly, so I only have to shave every other day if I want to keep things perfectly smooth.

And lets not forget ingrown hairs. Yeah. They're a joy. I rarely ever get them on my face, but my neck is a different story altogether. I tell you, nothing's better than spending the first hour of your day stabbing at your throat with a pair of tweezers painfully trying to pull a couple of hairs out that have looped back in on themselves.

I'd say getting your neck hair removed entirely is worth it. There's only a rare few people who can pull off a neck beard, and I'm not one of them. It'd save me a ton of money on razors at the very least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.