Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Im currently at Snow Leopard. If I buy a new Mac, installed with Mountain Lion, how do I pass my files to my new Mac? Can it be done flawlessly with Time Machine?

I do have:
-Time Machine Backup
-a 2nd external HDD with copies of ALL my files (pics, movies, documents, etc..)

I supose I could simply install the apps from scratch, and copy my files using an external HDD. But several apps I have are not the latest version of the app, for example, Skype and OpenOffice, wich I stoped updating because I disliked the new UI (in similar way to whats happening to iTunes 11)

I would like to get these. Is it possible to transfer my "computer" from a Time Machine backup? How will the apps clash with Mountain Lion, since they are Snow Leopard?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could use Setup / Migration Assistant to transfer applications, settings and documents from the TM HDD or from the older Mac.

Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:
I do not know about compatibility issues with your stated apps, maybe do a search with the version number of your apps, like "skype 4.5 compatible mountain lion" or something like that.

There is also a thread or probably more about applications and their compatibility with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.