Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi,

I'm about to ring up Three and ask them about this but I have a funny feeling they won't be of much help.

I activated my iPhone 5 yesterday and put in my Three Nano-SIM on a SIM-Only contract that had started on Saturday. The phone recognised the network and displayed a few bars of 3G signal in my house. I registered to MyThree via the website because the app said I wasn't recognised to be on the Three network. It displays my allowances etc just fine.

I can receive and send calls and texts, and can load pages through WiFi just as usual. However disable WiFi or leave the house, and no matter how good my 3G signal is, it refuses to load any webpages or basically anything that requires the internet.

Is there some part of the activation process I forgot to do or something? Any help appreciated.

On a side note, notifications for things like Twitter and facebook worked brilliantly on my iPhone 4 but for some reason will not work at all on my iPhone 5. I've checked and they're turned on in the notification center...

Thanks.

Last edited:

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
Hi,

I'm about to ring up Three and ask them about this but I have a funny feeling they won't be of much help.

I activated my iPhone 5 yesterday and put in my Three Nano-SIM on a SIM-Only contract that had started on Saturday. The phone recognised the network and displayed a few bars of 3G signal in my house. I registered to MyThree via the website because the app said I wasn't recognised to be on the Three network. It displays my allowances etc just fine.

I can receive and send calls and texts, and can load pages through WiFi just as usual. However disable WiFi or leave the house, and no matter how good my 3G signal is, it refuses to load any webpages or basically anything that requires the internet.

Is there some part of the activation process I forgot to do or something? Any help appreciated.

On a side note, notifications for things like Twitter and facebook worked brilliantly on my iPhone 4 but for some reason will not work at all on my iPhone 5. I've checked and they're turned on in the notification center...

Thanks.

Which carrier are you on? I'm on Verizon. I've been having issues where loading a web page just hangs and takes forever to bring up the page, or doesn't at all. I've turned off 4G LTE to see if it helps on the battery today and now the phone seems to remain on 2G (circle logo at the top).

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Hi,

Thanks.

We had a similar issue with one on my family's account. Basically, when the 5 was activated, AT&T was too stupid to just update the plan accordingly, thus the data plan was never activated.

That's the issue you are having - the phone functionality works, but you have no valid data plan activated. I would contact them and have them activate an appropriate data plan.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Do you have Cellular Data turned on under General Settings / Cellular?
Also, roaming data??

Have you downloaded and ran SpeedTest???

Couple other things to try:

General / Reset / Reset Data Network

If that doesn't help, load your phone dialer, and dial:

##update#
(##873283#)
then press CALL

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Which carrier are you on? I'm on Verizon. I've been having issues where loading a web page just hangs and takes forever to bring up the page, or doesn't at all. I've turned off 4G LTE to see if it helps on the battery today and now the phone seems to remain on 2G (circle logo at the top).
I'm on Three. It's a UK carrier.

We had a similar issue with one on my family's account. Basically, when the 5 was activated, AT&T was too stupid to just update the plan accordingly, thus the data plan was never activated.

That's the issue you are having - the phone functionality works, but you have no valid data plan activated. I would contact them and have them activate an appropriate data plan.
The person on the phone said he has to speak to the actual account holder after he ran me through some trouble shooting steps. Sigh. I have to wait a good hour for him to be free.

Do you have Cellular Data turned on under General Settings / Cellular?
Also, roaming data??

Have you downloaded and ran SpeedTest???

Couple other things to try:

General / Reset / Reset Data Network

If that doesn't help, load your phone dialer, and dial:

##update#
(##873283#)
then press CALL
Cellular Data is on
Roaming is off
I ran SpeedTest. On WiFi it worked fine, on 3G it hung on "finding best server".

I was not advised by the man on the phone to reset the data network, amazingly.

What does the dialler do?

ekg0477

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Fix

This fix worked for me. It seems to be a wide spread problem.

First back up the phone if you do not already have a back up.

Reset to factory settings.

Try again for data, this should work.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Well basically the Three support was completely useless, they claimed it was a problem with a network first, then a SIM card, then the phone! What's up with that?

I will try the few things mentioned here.

EDIT: And will you look at that, resetting Network settings worked fine. Hahah! What a waste of my time on the phone. I can't believe they asked "Do you know of any friend or relative that also has an iPhone 5 on Three that would be able to test?"

x32fzw

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Trying to find the answer to this very question - Three support just blame the iPhone and say to ring Apple Care.

I joined three last week with a unlocked 5 and since then I can't get internet over 3G - exactly the same as the OP. I can make calls, send texts but no browsing etc.

Resetting my Network Settings temporarily fixes the issue but as soon as I leave my phone for a while and come back it can't connect again (despite full 3G signal). I travel around a bit and this applies everywhere so it's not the masts nearby.

I've found - weirdly, as it shouldn't make any difference - that turning Data Roaming On then Off in Cellular gets me back online. So, maybe a Three network authentication issue? Apparently all my settings have been "provisioned" and should work. Humph. :(

piprensare

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Same problem, Telstra Australia

My two cents:

I'm with Telstra Australia and has the same problem with my iPhone 5, and the resetting of network settings worked (settings>general>reset>reset network settings).

I did also have a frustrating phonecall with Telstra support where they "refreshed my settings" from their end, but I highly doubt that was the fix.

Hope that helps someone!

yoyodub

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
:-(

same issue here. bot an unlocked 'phone from apple, bot a PAYG nano sim from Three, everything works except the internet. After pulling teeth on the 'phone support, I went into a shop and after the charming sales attendant had a fight with the 'phone support, walked out with a new nano sim. Still no internet though!!! Glad I'm not on a contract with any of these mobile 'phone companies: they all have an atrocious approach to customer service. :mad:

Nahla

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
I can obtain and also send calls and also texts, and can weight pages thru WiFi equally usual. However disable WiFi or perhaps allow our home, and also no matter how good my 3G alert is, it refuses to load any webpages or largely anything that requires the internet.
images

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

That's not 2G, that's 1XRRT or EV-DO I believe.

raj1214

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
True That

That's not 2G, that's 1XRRT or EV-DO I believe.

Windows 8 totally sucks. With No Support for graphics, sound and miscellaneous devices' (printers, scanners etc.) drivers and/or support available at the moment i seriously don't think opting for the eye-candy that windows 8 offers (i mean over hyped Modern GUI) is worth it.

overall, windows 8 is just a can of trash.

Last edited:

gakgurk

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
hi and thanks from turkey.
i had the same problem with the local GSM operator Turkcell. tried 'Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings' . this solved the problem for the moment.
I suggest but not sure! that a restore from my old iphone might have caused the problem. Anyway hope it does not appear again.

JimmyD1977

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
'Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings'

Hi all, many thanks - this worked for me too:

'Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings'

I'm on 3 also. Currently in Rotherham and will travel back home 35 miles this afternoon.

Will report any problems if they happen but very happy with the info you have provided.

Thanks again!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.