Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
really cool.
if you look frame by farm you can see the plane getting away and then some images of the pig pen as it is crash-landing.

i wonder if the camera owners saw the video and claimed the camera back

32zrsqv.jpg

30rte7s.jpg

2qbwr60.jpg

o5rtdh.jpg

Last edited:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Precisely - can't have been a GoPro, and I don't know of any sort of camera other than one that records onto tape that would suffer that distortion. It's also highly unlikely that one with a tape mechanism would have survived that fall - even into mud, and certainly not carefully balanced lens-upwards.

I'm voting fake on this - but still entertaining.

this is the result of the rolling shutter effect that those cameras have. if they rotate fast enough then this distortion could easily happen.

also those cameras have been multiple times come lose at parachuting jumps and some of them survived after landing on grass surfaces.

so overall this looks quite plausible to me. I'm voting for true.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
i don't get the 'fake' crowd.
so you think that it was let go from the plan with a parachute, expertly directed to the pigpen, and after it was recovered they manipulated the video to make it look like it was free-falllng instead? the point being?

because the camera clearly does start from the plane and does end in the pig pen, in the same shoot.
there is nothing that is not consistent with the story being true,

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
i don't get the 'fake' crowd.
so you think that it was let go from the plan with a parachute, expertly directed to the pigpen, and after it was recovered they manipulated the video to make it look like it was free-falllng instead? the point being?

because the camera clearly does start from the plane and does end in the pig pen, in the same shoot.
there is nothing that is not consistent with the story being true,

Uhm,, yeah, LOL

As if there was no Final Cut Pro, and other tools for video FX.

-t

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I have a GoPro Hero Black and I can tell you that they take some abuse. My daughter used it to film going down every water slide at Walt Disney World Resort. We've attached it to our Parrot AR Drone which has had some less than smooth landings. No damage to the camera.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
why? something is 'thrown' into the pig pen, made some racket falling and the nearby pig (which you can see as the camera is approaching) goes to check it out, probably hoping in something edible.

Geez, it's not that it CAN'T happen, it's the ODDS of it.

* falling in a pig pen
* not broken
* landing lense up
* lens not dirty
* pig shows up ASAP

It is FAR MORE LIKELY that this thing was doctored than it just happened that way.

-t

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
Geez, it's not that it CAN'T happen, it's the ODDS of it.

* falling in a pig pen
* not broken
* landing lense up
* lens not dirty
* pig shows up ASAP

It is FAR MORE LIKELY that this thing was doctored than it just happened that way.

-t

ok, so what do you think the odds are? do you have a number? how did you calculate it? and what would be "reasonable" in your opinion?
are you proposing that the camera did fell, but not in pig pen and then someone added that part in? making sure that the entire fall is consistent with the image of the pig pen to be added? or that the entire fall is doctored, including the camera taking shots of the plane it fell from, earth getting near, something like a pig pen getting close and finally the pig shown first from a height and then in a close up?
and the odds of that are MORE likely?

- first, these are very sturdy machines, so it's not surprising at all it's not broken after a fall on relatively soft ground. odds of that are pretty good.
- the lens being face up might depend on the geometry of the camera (with whatever was attached to it, if anything), so it may be not surprising as well, but since i don't know, let's say it is 50%. not a big deal.
- the image remaining clear doesn't mean it was perfectly clean. as long as it wasn't massively dirty, you wouldn't see little specs on the lens, because they would be out of focus.
- if the camera landed in the pig pen, pigs would check it out out of curiosity

so your only legit point is that the odds of it ending up into the pig pen are 'too high' (without any suggestion of what are 'reasonable' odds).
however you are looking at this wrong and/or you don't understand well the nature of probabilities.

you are looking at this as if this was:
"what are the odds that i drop a camera from an airplane, and i get a good video of a pig licking it right after it landed?"
the odds of theta are indeed high (although not zero), but that is the wrong question.
because you HAVE watched the video, and that changes everything.

the 'right' question is more something along the lines of:
"what are the odds that a video i am watching on a forum, with millions of previous views is interesting and bizarre?"
i would put them at close to 1. wouldn't you?
the salient point is that you (and me and millions of others) watched the video. this already happened.

the guy apparently dropped the camera by accident.
if the guy on the plane didn't drop the camera, you wouldn't be watching the video.
if the camera broke on impact, you wouldn't be watching the video.
if the camera fell in a remote area and set there until it stopped working, you wouldn't be watching the video.
if somebody hadn't found the camera, you wouldn't be watching the video.
if that somebody hadn't decide to upload the video, you wouldn't be watching the video.
if the video was lame, not so many people would watch it and share it, so either you wouldn't be watching the video, or alternatively you would be watching the video and having some reactions to it (including possibly still claiming it was a hoax, because, well, what are the odds)
if the camera landed in a backyard or anywhere animals or people where around, it is very likely they would have come closer to check it out, so you would probably be watching the video just with a different story, but probably still claim it was a hoax, because, well, what are the odds.
if the camera landed not in a pig pen, backyard etc., but in some other 'interesting' but unlikely place (on a table, in a frying pan, hit a cow, on a car, in a swimming pool, through a window, etc.,) you would probably be watching the video and probably still claim it was a hoax, because, well, what are the odds.

obviously,it is not impossible that the video is a fake, but there is really not much that points to it being one, and most certainly not the supposedly 'long odds'.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
tl;dr

I can't say which part is fake. All I'm saying is the odds of this being fake are MUCH higher than the odds of this being true.

If you can't see this, I got all kinds of bridges in Brooklyn to sell.

-t

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If you can't see this, I got all kinds of bridges in Brooklyn to sell.
You're obviously lying. I already own the bridges in Brooklyn, and I have a title deed to prove it. I'd take a picture of the deed and post it, but my iPhone fell out of the airplane when I was skydiving, and I haven't located which sheep-farm it landed on yet.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
[ ] you know what tl;dr means

-t

He does. His point still stands. You should read and consider his post instead of restating the same conclusion without taking the other points to his argument into account. Otherwise, it boils down to being stubborn and not wanting to read or agree with what anyone else says that isn't your own belief.

BL.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
He does. His point still stands. You should read and consider his post instead of restating the same conclusion without taking the other points to his argument into account. Otherwise, it boils down to being stubborn and not wanting to read or agree with what anyone else says that isn't your own belief.

BL.

I browsed through it, he doesn't have valid points.

He's basically saying: it's a real video (whatever that means), millions have seen it, it must be true.

I'm not even sure what to say, because it doesn't adequately address my points about the odds.

At any rate, people will believe what they want to believe.
I know tons of people that have a hard time accepting that not everything on teh intarwebs is true.

-t

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
I browsed through it, he doesn't have valid points.

He's basically saying: it's a real video (whatever that means), millions have seen it, it must be true.

I'm not even sure what to say, because it doesn't adequately address my points about the odds.

At any rate, people will believe what they want to believe.
I know tons of people that have a hard time accepting that not everything on teh intarwebs is true.

-t

since you clearly did not read the post, nor understand any of the points made, nor have any interest in doing so, there is no reason to continue this conversation.
please carry on in your prejudiced smugness.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It seems plausible, as for the pig coming over right away, they are usually pretty curious creatures, probably thought it was food (backed up by the fact that he tried to eat it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.