Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
First off, thanks for your help in advance.

I have an older Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS. It is slow, and blurry whenever I take the first picture of something.

I'm going to Thailand in Jan and want to get a new camera to take with me. Amazon has some great deals (I think) going on for black friday. I'm not very demanding on what I want from my camera. I want clear pictures, and I want the camera to be ready to take the picture when I am.

Do any of these three options stand out? Should I just go with the cheapest as they are pretty close? They all get good reviews on Amazon, but I trust you strangers more than I trust those strangers!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150
-18.2MP - 10x -$185

Panasonic Lumix SZ1
16.1MP - 10x -$155

or

Canon PowerShot SX260
12.1MP - 20x -$229 (I know this one is a year old)

Thanks again.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've been shopping for a new P/S for my girlfriend's Christmas gift this year, and kept bouncing around between the PowerShot S95 and the Olympus XZ-1. I liked the Olympus because of its fast lens (f/1.8), and its slight price edge over the S95. Every review I read of it highlighted its great low-light shooting. 'Not bad', I thought. Then Olympus announced the XZ-2, and lowered the price on Amazon to $199. I just ordered one today. For a point and shoot, I'm willing to sacrifice some focal length range for better low-light shooting. I'd suggest you look at it, as it's right in your butter-zone with regards to price.

Amazon link

xz1_hero_black.png

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks a lot for the advice! I actually saw that one on there the other day, but forgot to post it. I ranked the amazon deals by star rating and that one dropped off the front page. And yes, it is in a sweet spot in my price range.

The 4x zoom makes me nervous tho. I know there have been many times with my current camera where I wished I could have zoomed in more.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I considered that, but then I thought about when one typically uses a point and shoot, and most of the time (in our situation, anyway) it's for family or portrait shots. Given that many quick portraits have lighting that is, let's say, less than desirable, I'd rather get a keeper in poor/low light than fully fill the frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.