Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
I'm pretty sure that the Mac's built-in RAID feature is actually a 0+1 ... meaning that it's a mirror of two RAID-0s. Is that right?

So, in other words, one could boot from just the two if the second two drives were removed?

Just wondering. I'd have to check the IDs or positions of the drives in Disk Utility beforehand.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
What exactly are you asking? It is 0+1 using Disk Utility.. anything over that would require an Apple RAID card which I don't recommend as they can't be used with Windows. A 3rd party RAID card from Areca can be used to RAID drives under Windows - IF AND ONLY IF WINDOWS IS ALL YOU WANT TO RAID. If you mainly use OS X and NOT WINDOWS, then the Apple RAID card would be a good solution for you.

So, what is the question?

I'm pretty sure that the Mac's built-in RAID feature is actually a 0+1 ... meaning that it's a mirror of two RAID-0s. Is that right?

So, in other words, one could boot from just the two if the second two drives were removed?

Just wondering. I'd have to check the IDs or positions of the drives in Disk Utility beforehand.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
What exactly are you asking? It is 0+1 using Disk Utility.. anything over that would require an Apple RAID card which I don't recommend as they can't be used with Windows. A 3rd party RAID card from Areca can be used to RAID drives under Windows - IF AND ONLY IF WINDOWS IS ALL YOU WANT TO RAID. If you mainly use OS X and NOT WINDOWS, then the Apple RAID card would be a good solution for you.

So, what is the question?

I'm asking if one were to remove two of the drives and attempt to boot the machine, would it work?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'm asking if one were to remove two of the drives and attempt to boot the machine, would it work?

If you remove the correct two ( leaving behind the redundant pair for each removed drive ) then it will run. 0 + 1 or 1 + 0 doesn't make much of a difference. Which drives are in the "1" ( data stored on two drives ) is more important.

If used Disk Utility to set-up RAID 10 then can just select a HDD in the right and do a 'Get Info' (cmd-I ). In that info there will be disk indentifier number. Typically, those line up on a mac pro by bay number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.