Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Apple won't even give us lossless music options in iTunes. What a joke. I want to own my music. DOA.

For you, maybe. For many of us, Pandora and Spotify are great options when we're in the mood for a variety of music without having to create playlists. This will do well as long as it is as good as Pandora.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
So wait...no on-demand listening?

Rdio has on-demand listening as well as Pandora-like stations. So why would I stop using Rdio?

Would people stop comparing features for services with a monthly free to one that is free? Given all we have heard over find Apple will likely have the least restricted free service out there.

You pay rdio for what you get, just like people pay spotify. Stop comparing apples and prunes.

Apple is leveraging what they have to provide a superior free streaming service compared to pandora, free spotify, free rdio and what ever else.

It is scary that people who actually use these different services don't understand how they work and how apple is competing with them.

More like Pandora and no on-demand listening? Yep, Apple is continuing to be behind the curve yet again. Spotify is going to demolish this weak effort.

Actually apple is likely to destroy spotify's free program which will hurt them as they use that to leverage people into paying subscriptions.

It has long been believed apple has worked very hard on negotiating out or reducing the restrictions others have to live with for their free programs. Thinks like more skips an hour etc.

There is no evidence right now that apple is launching a pay on demand service. It is likely they just want to introduce the best free streaming service. By being able to connect directly to iTunes sales and directly sharing ad revenue with the labels, apple will be getting concessions in return.

For gods sakes though stop comparing a service that is 120 dollars a year versus nothing.

iRadio. From the team that brought you Apple Maps. Both answers to questions no one asked.

Spotify's already got it all. Why does Apple continue to do this?

Got what all? Six skips an hour like everyone else? Things like that will likely be less restrictive in apples service instsntly making it the best free service available in terms usability.

What are the chances iRado will make a few more bucks like Spotify Free does by introducing an "ad-supported" service in-line, or even in the stream ?

Would people be happy with this, or pay (maybe a fee) to get rid of these ?

Apple could do this, and if they did, how will users react ?

I think apples long term goal is to provide a free on demand service based on ads and iTunes sales. This is a first step, taking on the radio streaming market as a proof of concept. I doubt apple would ever offer an option to pay to get rid of ads. I don't know if it will work out or if they will insert audio ads but I believe that apple does plan to share ad revenue with the labels. Combine that with apple becoming the largest streaming music service in the first day or two after release and things are going to chsnge.

What people don't get is an iRadio project (my iPhone corrected it to the proper lowercase I uppercase r on its own) is that it combines many of apples biggest strengths.

If I were any of the other streaming services i would be as worried as Nokia shouid have been in 2006. They are going to pay higher royalties for more restrictive services and have to spend significantly more on customer acquisition.

I think people don't realize the reason this does not already exist is because apple is demanding favorable rates and less limits. They have also gotten more creative with what they offer the record labels.

Apple let me stream all the music in you library WHILE CHARGING OVER $100 a Year like Spotify than you got a deal.

Fyp

Last edited by a moderator:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
No on-demand listening and only a radio style mode is pretty 2005, to be honest. It'd be unlike Apple to satisfy themselves with that. Compare to how they broke new ground with iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.