Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brasstacks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Last night my best friend borrowed my Mac Book (2008 Model) to make a posting on Ebay de. The computer had use of a proxy server, stealth mode and private browsing. Little snitch pop up stating that someone wanted confidential inormation from my keychain. We denied both request.Feeling as though we were being hacked, we at once turned the computer off. Was this normal or a hacker? anything to worry about? Do I need to delete my harddrive?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Last night my best friend borrowed my Mac Book (2008 Model) to make a posting on Ebay de. The computer had use of a proxy server, stealth mode and private browsing. Little snitch pop up stating that someone wanted confidential inormation from my keychain. We denied both request.Feeling as though we were being hacked, we at once turned the computer off. Was this normal or a hacker? anything to worry about? Do I need to delete my harddrive?

Never heard of such a thing, I have Little snitch never had that.
If you didn't allow it it is OK though.
You can look into Keychain by opening Keychain Access if something suspicious is there.

Brasstacks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Key Chain Urgent

OK I had a look,but I am a novice! I found that I could not delete the 200 certificates nor could I delete Microsoft Indermediate certificates from the key chain..my master password would not work. What would I be looking for?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
OK I had a look,but I am a novice! I found that I could not delete the 200 certificates nor could I delete Microsoft Indermediate certificates from the key chain..my master password would not work. What would I be looking for?

Certificates are needed by the System, if you would have deleted them which is "impossible" you would have lots of problems on the internet.
You should look in your own(user name) keychain, if you have for instance GMail there is at least one Gmail entry, this goes on for many things, also Applications have access to it, for instance Safari, when you enter a password for the first time it will ask you if you want it to be remembered, if you clicked yes it will be in the keychain.

Edit: Nobody else can possibly know what is in your keychain since it is personal, you go to different places than me so my keychain is different, you have to find out yourself.

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

No. You. Do. Not. Need. To. Delete. Anything.

Slow down. Again I say: Slow. Down. A Little Snitch popup that you denied means nothing happened. And by all means don't go wading through your keychain pressing the delete key.

Brasstacks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
IP address

Thanks! After thinking this over it was obvious that I was the victim of a cyer ambush.Is there anything to worry about my IP address? I was using a proxy server in stealth mode. IS my IP address now at risk?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks! After thinking this over it was obvious that I was the victim of a cyer ambush.Is there anything to worry about my IP address? I was using a proxy server in stealth mode. IS my IP address now at risk?

OS X is secure, without your permission nothing will happen so if you get a dialogue box asking for permissions if from outside of your network deny it.

And, as you said before you use Little snitch so don't worry too much.

Brasstacks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks for you advice!

I feel better,but now the hacker has my IP address. I was using a proxy server.Have I muddied my cyer tracks or canhe zero in on my IP address for another attempt? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.