Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
I have an AppleTV 3 set up that worked great..... until I updated iTunes! Now when I try to watch a movie my homesharing connection drops about 5 times during a 2 hour movie. This only started after I updated iTunes to the latest version. Then I updated AppleTV to the latest version thinking that the update would solve the problem but it did not. My internet connection is fine and I can watch Netflix for hours with no problems. My PC does not sleep either. It just drops the movie and sends me back to the home screen where it says "turn on homesharing" then after about 10 seconds it shows my PC again and lets me resume the movie where I left off.
Anyone else have the same problem? Anyone have a solution?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have an AppleTV 3 set up that worked great..... until I updated iTunes! Now when I try to watch a movie my homesharing connection drops about 5 times during a 2 hour movie. This only started after I updated iTunes to the latest version. Then I updated AppleTV to the latest version thinking that the update would solve the problem but it did not. My internet connection is fine and I can watch Netflix for hours with no problems. My PC does not sleep either. It just drops the movie and sends me back to the home screen where it says "turn on homesharing" then after about 10 seconds it shows my PC again and lets me resume the movie where I left off.
Anyone else have the same problem? Anyone have a solution?

Does it drop the same point each time e.g every 15 mins etc?

I think the HDD is sleeping even though its being used via wfi and not waking

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
Does it drop the same point each time e.g every 15 mins etc?

I think the HDD is sleeping even though its being used via wfi and not waking

It seems random but I'm not 100% sure.
It was working fine with the same setup for a year until the iTunes update. The main purpose of this PC is to run iTunes for AppleTV.:confused:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
It seems random but I'm not 100% sure.
It was working fine with the same setup for a year until the iTunes update. The main purpose of this PC is to run iTunes for AppleTV.:confused:

Same with mine. I had my drive to sleep after an hour and sure enough my ATV would disconnect after 1 hour. I've set my iMac to sleep after 3 hours now. Bit annoying and needs to be fixed.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I am having this same exact issue where Apple TV2 will stop playing video and disconnect home sharing as soon as iMac goes to sleep (which is 10 minutes). Curiously, do you have your Mac's firewall enabled or disabled?

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
I am having this same exact issue where Apple TV2 will stop playing video and disconnect home sharing as soon as iMac goes to sleep (which is 10 minutes). Curiously, do you have your Mac's firewall enabled or disabled?

I'm using an older Windows PC and it is set to never sleep. I have the Windows firewall disabled but I am using a firewall with my security software.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I'm using an older Windows PC and it is set to never sleep. I have the Windows firewall disabled but I am using a firewall with my security software.

Make sure your firewall is letting iTunes through. Or better yet, temporarily disable it to see if the problem goes away.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
Problem solved! I'm an idiot....
I took your advice and checked to see if it actually was random and it was not. It was exactly 20 min apart. So this is obviously the computer going to sleep after 20. I check the computer and it was set to high performance and to not sleep at all! I looked through the other settings and somehow my HDD was set to sleep after 20 min! Derp. Changed that, fixed problem. I don't know how it was working before and suddenly not. Maybe it's time for a new "iTunes server"!? This POS windows vista has always given me problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.