Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katarisaurus

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
The progress now runs in the background tasks, which you can see by going to Window -> Background Tasks or by hitting Command 9. It doesn't show the time anymore, but it gives you the percentage of what's been processed.

scorpioIII

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
This post sounds like a piece of fiction. The user account has 1 post (this is it) and the account was created today. Are we suppose to believe that the accountants and IT department at the 5th largest network in the USA that is already using Avid & FCP 7 would simply dump the investment in Mac workstations and FCP 7 licenses within a year even though FCP 7 and those workstations are still fully functional?

Hey there, just saw this thread & signed up to reply.
The OP who wrote this might be correct in saying that a large Network has done away with FCP after what went down a couple years back with the release of X.
That pissed off a lot of folks (as I'm sure you know.)
I am personally aware of a few networks who have ditched their FCP stations to go full Avid (with ISIS -formerly Unity media solution) linking many, many Edit-Rooms and Producer workstations together.

For Networks, the seemingly expensive move actually makes sense in the long run.
Have ISIS (and Avid MC) means that access to all media is available to every editor/producer at all times. FCP cannot compete with that.
Interchange to Pro-Tools can also be expedited with the Audio Rooms accessing the same media via ISIS as well, (another time saver.)

I work at a medium sized boutique in New York City and we did away with FCP a bit after the FCPX debacle. We were already 90% Avid so it just meant adding a couple more MCs to our facility.
Most of our clients haven't asked for FCP in that time and Avid (though not perfect,) is reliable, rock solid handles tons of media without flinching and is just flexible to use.
We run the Avids on Mac Pros btw.

So, I don't disagree with what the OP wrote. I've heard similar stories in my travels as well about major networks.

----------

The issue isn't that Apple is incapable; it is that they simply aren't willing to allocate the necessary resources to ensure the needs of professionals are met in a timely and reliable manner. All that revenue and still a year later FCP X has yet to match the scope of FCP 7.

Those who have already made the switch to Avid Media/Adobe aren't coming back to the FCP fold. As was previously pointed out: too little, too late.

Perception is reality and here is what professional editors see:

Avid's bread and butter is from the professional market. The needs of professionals are their priority.

Adobe's bread and butter is from the professional market. The needs of professionals are their priority.

Apple's bread and butter is now from the consumer market. Professionals are NOT their priority - they are only a proxy revenue stream.

Why on Earth, would medium and large companies, some of which have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars on equipment, be willing to hold their workflow hostage to a company that regards some 14-year old punk kid shuffling his feet to dubstep via the iPod attached to his hip as their future?

Sheer madness!

This was BRILLIANT.
Because it is TRUE.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
What? you want background rendering taken away?

seriously?

Yes i do! Background rendering takes up ram and speed. I want to render when i choose to, not when the program wants to. I should always be in control of how my project is being edited not the editor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.