Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
My son is alocated 20 minutes on the iPad every couple of days... .

You allocate your son 20 minutes on the iPad every two days?

Sorry that just sounds weird.

... and its a fantactic learning tool.

"fantactic"?....Then how about a spelling app?...maybe your son can help you with that during his special 20 minute time slot?

Sorry mate but a bat and ball game with his friends would provide more entertainment and necessary social learning skills.

Good luck with the spelling bee.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
You allocate your son 20 minutes on the iPad every two days?

Sorry that just sounds weird.

"fantactic"?....Then how about a spelling app?...maybe your son can help you with that during his special 20 minute time slot?

Sorry mate but a bat and ball game with his friends would provide more entertainment and necessary social learning skills.

Good luck with the spelling bee.

Well done, a typo...

Good luck keeping your child out playing all day everyday.. My son is very active, he plays football, does kick boxing and is regularly round friends houses playing and having friends to ours. sometimes he likes to play on the iPad, or look at educational things on it. - He even plays the odd game on my xbox.

You will find quickly when you grow up and have children, that you have to have a variety of things for them to do, you can't just give them a ball and kick them out the house for all the hours the sun's up.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
My grandkids (8 and 4) have my old iPads (1 and 2). They have been using them for we'll over a year and haven't dropped or spilled anything on either. However, sticky fingers are an issue. I put Ghost Armor on both, front and back. I highly suggest you think about a screen protector and case.

They are usually sitting down with the iPads either on the floor (they lay on the floor a lot to use them) or on a table. So a case with a stand is well worth it too.

As for which, I suggest the mini too. For one thing if he uses it in the car it's much easier to hold and iPads are great entertainment in the car on trips.

I'm sure he will enjoy it a lot. There are some great apps for kids. My granddaughter learned her ABCs and to write them by using the iPad. My grandson loves the StarWalk app with the stars and such (ues, he loves Angry Birds too). And my granddaughter loves to take pictures. Most are of her feet since its heavy for her but she loves to take pictures of herself by turning the camera around.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah bored and stupid because they don't use an iPad, right.

Bored and stupid doing sports, being outside, climbing trees, hillwalking using a map and compass, canoeing, playing team sports interacting with others, learning about and watching wildlife, visiting museums and experiencing things first hand.

Not sat at home nice and warm and safe tapp tapping on an iPad.

A 7 year old should be out and about starting to learn about real world experiences not looking at virtual worlds on expensive technology.

I was always up some tree as a 7 year old, playing on a small boat, making bows and arrows, getting grazed knees, playing, fighting and learning with friends about how to have an adventure or at least believe we were having one.

Dull bored stupid?.....I don't think so tappety.

You have a great point but there comes a time that a child has to be inside. I mean, seriously. You're telling me you allow your young child to be outside from the time they wake up until they go to bed every single day???? If that's the case than you must be the best parent ever. My DD is very active and would stay outside all day if we allowed it. However, she's only 6 so if she's outside that means we are, and I don't know about you but there's other things in life that my husband and I have to do like, make dinner, clean, etc, etc. Then again, my DD goes to an amazing private school where she learns everything your son does just by playing outside and so much more ;). We also play a bunch on the weekends, go to museums, etc as well.

Last edited:

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Bored and stupid doing sports, being outside, climbing trees, hillwalking using a map and compass, canoeing, playing team sports interacting with others, learning about and watching wildlife, visiting museums and experiencing things first hand.

You say these as if they preclude any use of any electronics. It is possible to do all those things and still have a little time to use a computer or iPad. It can be a complementary device to augment all those things you mention.

As long as the use is regulated and not used as an electronic babysitter there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting a child of any age use an iPad.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
First of all, tks to all that responded and it seems the Mini is the way to go. Regarding people making comments about how you should educate a 7 years old I believe that is a personal matter and my wife and I should decide what is good and bad for our kid. Just as a heads up, my son is very active and plays outside most of the time. He plays soccer, baseball, swims since he was 9 months old, has tennis and karate lessons and just to make it clear these were all his choices and we never told him what sports or activities he should do but we supported him on what he wanted. He goes to private school full time and while not in class he is in some sort of sport related activity in the school. When he gets home, after doing his homework, we play together outside, we have a basketball hoop in our driveway, he bikes, he has friends in our neighborhood, etc… However, we live in Minnesota and for those who don’t know the place we get below 0 Celsius (32F) temperatures from October/November through April/May. Thus, although he also skis in the winter, there is not much a 7 year old kid can do in the winter other than being inside. Yes, we go to museums, we travel, we go to the movie theater BUT there will be times when he has to be inside.
Regarding the iPad, he already uses mine and uses in his school for learning activities. Thus, he already knows how to use and enjoys it. I think there are many things kids can do with an iPad today and reading books in one of them. There are also many apps that are educational and challenge them in math, science, history, etc… In my mind, the iPad is way better than having the kid on a computer or playing Nintendo DS or video games on the TV. Also, when using an iPad I make sure the device is not connected to the network (which is password protected) so it is very easy for me to control what he has access on the device.

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
More money than sense!

I so would love to see your face when it gets broken. I think a 7 year old would love other more exciting 'toys' IMHO.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I so would love to see your face when it gets broken. I think a 7 year old would love other more exciting 'toys' IMHO.

If it gets broken..... that is why Apple Care is for. Who cares!!!! I only asked if I should buy a Mini or an iPad 4. I did not ask IF I should buy or not because it may break or because there are "more exciting toys".

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
My 9 year old is getting a mini for Christmas. It's a lot of money but he's worked hard in school and his very responsible. :)

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
If it gets broken..... that is why Apple Care is for. Who cares!!!! I only asked if I should buy a Mini or an iPad 4. I did not ask IF I should buy or not because it may break or because there are "more exciting toys".

Lol keep your hair on, was just offering my opinion, not trying to tell you how to live your life FFS

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
iPad can be a great educational tool. My SO got his first computer (some type of Apple thing, I don't know) when he was around that age and programmed his first program (probably some variety of Hello World) when he was eight or something. Now he's an incredibly talented programmer. Haha, sorry, just took a moment to brag. but really, iPad is so much more than just a device to play games. Kids can learn a lot from it, and mini would be perfect..

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
iPad can be a great educational tool. My SO got his first computer (some type of Apple thing, I don't know) when he was around that age and programmed his first program (probably some variety of Hello World) when he was eight or something. Now he's an incredibly talented programmer. Haha, sorry, just took a moment to brag. but really, iPad is so much more than just a device to play games. Kids can learn a lot from it, and mini would be perfect..

My grandson is 8 and his dad (my son) found him some sort of little program (not an app on the iPad) that teaches programming. He's already learning. He's mildly Austistic and it helps him to focus. He is really into puzzles etc and that's what programming really is in a way.

Sorry to get off topic too but introducing kids to tech at an early age these days is a plus in their lives. My son's first computer was a Commadore 64 with a little TV for a monitor. He was about 8 at the time. He started learning to program around the age of 10 or so. Sure turned out to be a good career.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
To those of you that give unsolicited advice, I guess you never get your children toys or game consoles or anything for that matter. I mean, all they need is sunshine and air after all :rolleyes:. The mentality on this board kills me sometimes.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
To those of you that give unsolicited advice, I guess you never get your children toys or game consoles or anything for that matter. I mean, all they need is sunshine and air after all :rolleyes:. The mentality on this board kills me sometimes.

I agree. I have a 7 year old girl and 6 month old son. The 7 year old is getting a Mini for Christmas, and already has a MacBook (older one). She absolutely flies on any type of technology I give her. I will be doing the same with the 6 month old (he already has an iPad touch). By the time both of them are of career age, technology is going to he even more important then it is now. Anyone that thinks other wise, is wrong. It's not up for debate. This isn't the 1960's.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
How old were you when you first had a games console?

Actually never to this date had a gaming console...(unless you count the ipad or a computer =P )
btw: First computer: 14 years old

And I don't feel like I've missed out on anything

iDespiseWindows

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2014
The iPad mini is petter for their size but the iPad 4 is more powerful however do children need a little more power?

jcarlough

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Either on would be fine. Get a kid friendly case. That's the most important thing.

To the naysayers - my kid has had an iPad since she was 1.5. I bet she's smarter than your kids (if you actually have any). The iPad is a big part of that.

pdawg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Got my 10 year old the wifi mini (16 G) for Christmas. He loves it, and he will use it now and in middle school next year as well.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
My 7 year old son just recieved his iPad Mini 2 for Christmas. He's currently staying a couple of days with his aunt and uncle (which means he's helping work on some classic cars) so he hasn't had the chance to use it yet. I'm in the process of looking for some educational games, mainly encyclopedias, dinosaurs, and math based games. If you know if any apps you could recommend, I'd appreciate it. I'm willing to pay more for very comprehensive games, and even comprehensive bundles. As an example, I'm looking at Splash Math which goes grades 1 to 5 for $35. Thanks for your help!

As for being outdoors instead of using iPad, my son and I live in a small mountain town in Colorado. We've enjoyed the outdoors more then most anybody. There's an unpaved road we sometimes walk, and it's so beautiful each time I see it it's more beautiful then I could possibly remember.

But, I have high hopes for the kid, and I aint raisin' no redneck, so I'll offer him a refined way of learning as well as the old fashioned ways, thanks very much.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Honestly, you should go ahead and buy a used iPad of some lower model on ebay if that is your intended use for it. Your child will drop it a lot. Wouldn't it be much better that a $200 older model is dropped and maybe broken than a much more expensive newer one? It should be plenty of computer power for him.

I'd suggest looking into a used iPad 3 or 4 full size one.

But let's look a the big picture - There are much better ways for education than iPads... like books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.