Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelmccain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I just got my iPhone an the proximity sensor is not working. It does not work with Siri even though I have raise to speak turned on. Also I believe the screen is supposed to dim when you're on a phone call. Is anyone else having this issue? I'm on the line with apple right now.

crewpride

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Southern California
I just got my iPhone an the proximity sensor is not working. It does not work with Siri even though I have raise to speak turned on. Also I believe the screen is supposed to dim when you're on a phone call. Is anyone else having this issue? I'm on the line with apple right now.

You get anywhere with them? My phone is doing this too, but I have an alarm clock app that uses the proximity sensor to turn screen off when I put the phone face down, and that works just fine. Leading me to believe its a software issue, not necessarily hardware.

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
talked to my girlfriend for a few hours last night and I tried it a couple times...the screen tuned off when it got close to my face so mine is working fine

Sluggyman

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Mine was playing up since the moment I opened it. Was on the phone with Apple for like 2 hours this afternoon. I did everything they told me too with no effect and so they are sending me a new one, which should arrive on tuesday/wednesday.

xdiep23

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
I am having similar issues with my iPhone 5 as well. It seems that during a call, placing phone up against ear/face will turn off the screen however I am noticing that phone seems to not dim even though AUTO BRIGHTNESS is turnt off. Also tested this after enabling RAISE TO SPEAK on Siri where it does nothing or me when held up to speak.

Seems to be a software glitch as proximity obviously works on during phone calls. Anyone having these issues that have seemed to be able to resolve them?

Also performed a holding power and home button restart already, issue still there.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
My iP5 screen goes black when raised to my face for a phone call. Siri raise to speak (it's turned on) is not working properly however.

I've been able to get it to work a few times, but for the most part Siri will not kick in when raised to my ear.

I'm hoping this will be a 6.0.1 fix. There is no way this phone is going back because as far as I can tell it's otherwise flawless (except for Safari not wanting to landscape now and then).

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I had this issue come up on my 4 and Apple replaced it. No proximity problems with my 4s or 5 (so far).

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
Mine works with calls the screen turns off then off when I remove it from my face but the auto brightness isn't working so I believe it's a software issue.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Search for the auto brightness thread. It works differently on the 5. Go into settings, look at the auto brightness screen in a dark room, take a flash lite and shine it on the screen. Now remove the light. You should actually see the brightness bar change.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Search for the auto brightness thread. It works differently on the 5. Go into settings, look at the auto brightness screen in a dark room, take a flash lite and shine it on the screen. Now remove the light. You should actually see the brightness bar change.

I believe that the slider setting is now the minimum brightness used with auto brightness. It goes higher than this (and you'll see the slider move up), but never below this. Also the transition is more subtle as opposed to a huge jump from one to the other.

G.

maskott

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Me Too!

I am having the same issues. I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 and got it a few weeks ago. I didn't really realize the problem until last week when I accidentally muted and put a few phone calls on hold.

Now, I've tested during a call, tried using Siri's Raise to Speak feature, and watched as I change the ambiant lighting with Auto-Brightness on. None of these seem to work at all.

I've tried a regular restart, a Reset Network Settings, and a Reset All Settings, none of which seem to have solved the issue. I guess I'll be calling Apple support or stopping by the Apple Store next.

Until I have a chance, I found an app that just records where you touch the screen to leave open during calls. Not a great solution :/

jsmakr

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Already got my 5 replaced 2 weeks ago because power button issues and now my proximity sensor does not work.

I know I'll probably get another replacement, just such a huge pain spending 45 minutes restoring all my apps, photos, and music to yet another replacement devices...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I just tested the proximity sensor on mine, and it's working right now.

Interesting thing though: about a month ago, a few days after hurricane sandy, I was in a situation where I had to call 911. Much to the dispatcher's annoyance, the proximity sensor DIDN'T work during that call, and soon enough my face hit the keypad and I was face-dialing during the call.

Haven't replicated it since, but then I haven't had to call 911 since, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.