Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazysarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hi all. I've just finished coding up my first proper website and having tested it on all the browsers you can install on a windows PC I was hoping that things would go painlessly. Not so...

When I borrowed my friends ipad and looked the page took an absolute age to load. And sometimes it wouldn't load at all. After checking other websites etc I'm sure it's not the connection. I have some Javascript I had never used before, could this be causing the problem? Sometimes it looks like it's taking a long time loading the FB, google and twitter buttons. Do they cause problems on iphones and ipads?

Unfortunately my problem is made worse because I can't easily get my hands on an ianything as I don't own one myself and all the emulators/simulators I've found don't appear to be 100% authentic. So it'd even be useful if someone could tell me if they have problems too.

Can anyone help me out?
the site's at http://www.traditionalirishgifts.com

I'd appreciate it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

crazysarah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Anyone fancy taking a look at the site and telling me how it works for them?

Particularly does the horizontal dropdown nav menu work? when you hover over Guinness Merchandise for example a drop down of sub categories is meant to appear.

Someone has told me it doesn't work for them :(

BillMidwest

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
I viewed your site on an original iPad running iOS 5.1.1. It loaded quickly after an initial slow start and was sized properly for the iPad, no left to right scrolling necessary. Unless there's an issue with iOS 6, it seems fine to me.

JBsea

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
looks good

viewed on an iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1, used WiFi

looks good, loaded quickly, however the page is not centered - it leans to the left a bit. with that being said (possibly obviously), an optimized mobile site or respsonsive site would be better for viewing on mobile phones (but I'm used it as most of us are).

Nice overall job

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
Viewed on original ipad

Looks good. Loads quickly. My guess is that long load time simply is because the page downloads a large number of bits. Often iPhones are on slower network connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.