Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I liked the old version better. It was a stock iOS UI.

Also the gallery viewer is terribly. It is only for the photos you've uploaded; whereas the previous version had a thumbnail button, that once tapped would display a thumbnail view of pictures in any folder.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Dropbox is wonderful! It replaces most of iCloud for me (and supports Macs better, ironically), plus I use it for web hosting, file transfer, and file syncing. I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook, and I basically just save all documents to the same Dropbox folder on both PCs.

----------

With the Dropbox Android app I can edit TXT files, in iOS I can't. That really sux.

Yeah, why don't they let you do it in the iOS version?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Like most everyone else who has posted, I also am a huge fan of Dropbox.

However ... do people really take pictures of their bare feet? :D

(Seriously, that comment in the press release seemed to come out of nowhere.)

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I am a dropbox fan, but isn't photo sharing all too overbet on??

seems like everyone is looking to make a phot sharing solution, facebook, google, dropbox, instagram (back then), will.i.am, box, smaller developers, everyone.

on the other hand, why do consumers have this craze to share everything they do in their life with everyone??

jeez

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I does have an android feel to it. Not sure if i like it yet, i'm used to the consistency between iOS apps

What do you mean? It looks a little similar to dropbox on android but then it would. The app on both platforms has design aspects from the platform it's on.

Here it is on Android. You can't possibly mean Android in general because it looks nothing like it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-16-37.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-16-37.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-23-53.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-23-53.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 93

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Its worth noting that you get up to 3GB of additional space when you plugin ur phone and import your photos and videos to dropbox.

Fireviperrr

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Its worth noting that you get up to 3GB of additional space when you plugin ur phone and import your photos and videos to dropbox.

Thanks for the advice, I didn´t know that. It´s an easy way to upgrade the free space.

Another way to get some free space is to use the referral link displayed in your Dropbox. For each new Dropbox user using the referral link both get 250mb free space. So feel free signing up using my referral link:

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE2OTgxOTEzOQ?src=global0

We both get 250 mb free, thx!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I am a dropbox fan, but isn't photo sharing all too overbet on??

seems like everyone is looking to make a phot sharing solution, facebook, google, dropbox, instagram (back then), will.i.am, box, smaller developers, everyone.

on the other hand, why do consumers have this craze to share everything they do in their life with everyone??

jeez

It's just giving you choice so you don't have to use multiple apps to get the same effect. Why upload photos to Dropbox if you can't view then in a gallery/slideshow format without using yet ANOTHER app to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
It's just giving you choice so you don't have to use multiple apps to get the same effect. Why upload photos to Dropbox if you can't view then in a gallery/slideshow format without using yet ANOTHER app to do it.
Right, and it also happens to drive demand for larger storage plans. :)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So I'm supposed to remember the positions now? What happened to designing intuitive icons? It took me a while to understand why the check mark meant Edit. Nice design there.

I agree, but it's nothing that a press wouldn't uncover.

With the Dropbox Android app I can edit TXT files, in iOS I can't. That really sux.

Sure, with 10 clicks and some other apps you do get that functionality on iOS.

I was hoping that was going to be included in this update. I am very greatful that devs are starting to understand that some folks use both iOS and Android, so making the apps identical helps out the end user.

Now, I will be fumbling just a bit with Dropbox or defaulting back to Android to get certain functions. Not a huge problem though.

I killed my first 2GB shortly after signing up, then I did the mad dash to get people to sign up under my referral, and got every free offer I could manage from DB. I pulled my 2GB to 6.5GB and still needed more. I sucked it up and got the base account. Once I got my Note 2 I got 50GBs more.

I do LOVE Dropbox, and am very glad they remained independent.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

They are the most expensive one for what you get in GB's, but I think it's worth it. Most apps sync with it to provide back up. Photo uploads from my phone works way better than Photostream. I was weighing between Dropbox, Skydrive, and GDrive, but I think Dropbox has the better support (after all, it's the only product they have) and better implementation.

The only feature I would like to see is an "Archive" folder in which I can upload to that folder and then delete the files from my hard drive. Sugar Sync has this and it's a neat feature.

I think they need to up the space they give for the prices though.

Marshall3

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Android and desktop version of Dropbox seems way better than iOS version of Dropbox as there is no such randomness in the design. Since Dropbox has integrated with GroupDocs, the hassles of viewing, editing and converting docs on different platforms has completely eliminated. For me, it is the most successful integration provided by Dropbox for its users.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
They are the most expensive one for what you get in GB's, but I think it's worth it.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using it for several years (since back when you had to go to the domain "getdropbox.com" because they didn't yet own "dropbox.com"!). I very promptly upgraded to a paid plan because I was collaborating with a couple of people on designing a book, and it made the process entirely friction-free.

Now, almost every file on my Macbook Air is kept inside its Dropbox folder so that its always in sync with my other Mac and of course my iPhone.

And at work, I started a freebie account that enabled me to get at a bunch of my files from home when our office was trashed by Sandy. I only wish I could get our Neanderthal IT manager to ditch the unusable Microsoft Sharepoint garbage that they spend so much time and energy maintaining in favor of a beefy Dropbox Teams account. (They've already spent so much on Sharepoint that nobody's ever going to admit it was a horrible mistake, of course).

As for iCloud, it's turned out to be very little of a threat to Dropbox, in my opinion. It's totally opaque, unreliable, and its weird app-by-app silo approach is just confusing. And at least if Dropbox has downtime (rare), you still have all your files there on your machine to transfer some other way if you need to.

I think the jury is still out on Google Drive, but it sure felt like a half-baked Dropbox ripoff when I used it a few months ago.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using it for several years (since back when you had to go to the domain "getdropbox.com" because they didn't yet own "dropbox.com"!). I very promptly upgraded to a paid plan because I was collaborating with a couple of people on designing a book, and it made the process entirely friction-free.

Now, almost every file on my Macbook Air is kept inside its Dropbox folder so that its always in sync with my other Mac and of course my iPhone.

And at work, I started a freebie account that enabled me to get at a bunch of my files from home when our office was trashed by Sandy. I only wish I could get our Neanderthal IT manager to ditch the unusable Microsoft Sharepoint garbage that they spend so much time and energy maintaining in favor of a beefy Dropbox Teams account. (They've already spent so much on Sharepoint that nobody's ever going to admit it was a horrible mistake, of course).

As for iCloud, it's turned out to be very little of a threat to Dropbox, in my opinion. It's totally opaque, unreliable, and its weird app-by-app silo approach is just confusing. And at least if Dropbox has downtime (rare), you still have all your files there on your machine to transfer some other way if you need to.

I think the jury is still out on Google Drive, but it sure felt like a half-baked Dropbox ripoff when I used it a few months ago.

I'm still debating on paying. I have 35% used of a 13GB free account. I want to get 100GB for the safety of some of my choice photography RAW files and music that I obtain from non-iTunes stores (since I'm not sure if I'm able to re-download purchases).

Google Drive sounds good and SkyDrive is even cheaper, but I prefer having one location instead of all these accounts with files all over the place. If anything Google Drive would be the back up for the backup.

We will see where Dropbox goes. They just bought Audiogalaxy and Snapjoy...

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I'm still debating on paying. I have 35% used of a 13GB free account. I want to get 100GB for the safety of some of my choice photography RAW files and music that I obtain from non-iTunes stores (since I'm not sure if I'm able to re-download purchases).

This is way off-topic, but:

I played around with a few online backup services at one point (Mozy, SpiderOak) but got pretty tired of saturating my internet connection waiting for gigantic uploads. Now I just clone everything periodically and keep the encrypted drives in my desk at work. Hard drives are dirt cheap now, so it's cost-effective — and if there was a disaster I could recover my stuff much more quickly than via downloading.

The most important stuff (things I created vs. things I downloaded) is still backed up in real time in Dropbox, of course.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This is way off-topic, but:

I played around with a few online backup services at one point (Mozy, SpiderOak) but got pretty tired of saturating my internet connection waiting for gigantic uploads. Now I just clone everything periodically and keep the encrypted drives in my desk at work. Hard drives are dirt cheap now, so it's cost-effective — and if there was a disaster I could recover my stuff much more quickly than via downloading.

The most important stuff (things I created vs. things I downloaded) is still backed up in real time in Dropbox, of course.

Oh, yes, I have 2 hard drives with backups. Dropbox would be extra storage and security layer for things I cannot lose. Ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.