Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #26
cheerup347
macrumors member

Okay thanks!

I had another thought of moving my entire home folder over to the external HDD, but is this a smart move? seeing as most of my media is going on there it won't hurt if all of it's on there, but I don't know how reliable this is? I've searched for detailed information but what's the best way to move the Home Directory over to a second HDD in Mountain Lion?

Last edited by cheerup347; Apr 15, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
cheerup347 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:42 PM   #27
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerup347 View Post
Okay thanks!

I had another thought of moving my entire home folder over to the external HDD, but is this a smart move? seeing as most of my media is going on there it won't hurt if all of it's on there, but I don't know how reliable this is? I've searched for detailed information but what's the best way to move the Home Directory over to a second HDD in Mountain Lion?
our home SideBar Icon will become a generic Icon (I think), second problem is more important, if the External is not connected you can't login into that account because the password is in the Home Folder Keychain Folder.

Except for these two problems it would be the same as if it was on the SSD, a simple symlink would do the job.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:56 AM   #28
cheerup347
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
our home SideBar Icon will become a generic Icon (I think), second problem is more important, if the External is not connected you can't login into that account because the password is in the Home Folder Keychain Folder.

Except for these two problems it would be the same as if it was on the SSD, a simple symlink would do the job.
When you say a simple symlink would do the job, do you mean I can symlink the entire home folder in order to keep the sidebar original?
cheerup347 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:48 AM   #29
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerup347 View Post
When you say a simple symlink would do the job, do you mean I can symlink the entire home folder in order to keep the sidebar original?
Yes, I am pretty sure all the subfolders will be OK, but not the Home Folder itself, in your SideBar there is your Home Folder with your Home Folders name, I think that Icon will show up as generic but all the other Folders inside the Home Folder will have their Icons displayed.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help