Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
TH55
macrumors 68000

Is there any way to back up your keyboard shortcuts?

I sure hope so. I literally have over 50. Autocorrect needs to catch up
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:05 AM   #2
matttye
macrumors 601

They're backed up in the usual way as far as I know; either to iCloud or when you sync.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
They're backed up in the usual way as far as I know; either to iCloud or when you sync.
K thanks
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Yep, I backed up a 4S with iTunes, restored to an iP5 and all my shortcuts were in place.

FWIW, they also sync across devices with a shared iCloud account, like if I add a new shortcut to my iPad, it's [almost] immediately available on my iPhone.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Yep, I backed up a 4S with iTunes, restored to an iP5 and all my shortcuts were in place.

FWIW, they also sync across devices with a shared iCloud account, like if I add a new shortcut to my iPad, it's [almost] immediately available on my iPhone.
Wait so even if I have a 4S running iOS 5.01, if I back it up then get an iPhone 5 it will transfer over?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #6
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
Wait so even if I have a 4S running iOS 5.01, if I back it up then get an iPhone 5 it will transfer over?
Yep, the backup is your user generated files (photos, etc.), apps and their related data, configuration files, etc. What I'm _assuming_ happens to OS related configuration files is they're checked for version, and revised as part of the restoration process.

I did need to reinstall my 3rd party apps, but any configuration was already in place. I'm sure with the correct configuration in iTunes (maybe app sync?) the apps would also be restored, but I generally use this as an opportunity to purge some things
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:47 PM   #7
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yep, the backup is your user generated files (photos, etc.), apps and their related data, configuration files, etc. What I'm _assuming_ happens to OS related configuration files is they're checked for version, and revised as part of the restoration process.

I did need to reinstall my 3rd party apps, but any configuration was already in place. I'm sure with the correct configuration in iTunes (maybe app sync?) the apps would also be restored, but I generally use this as an opportunity to purge some things
Sweet. I love Apple. I just hope all my tweaks are compatible w iOS 6, esp swipenav, zephyr and delete word
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:54 PM   #8
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
Sweet. I love Apple. I just hope all my tweaks are compatible w iOS 6, esp swipenav, zephyr and delete word
Oh jeez, I have no idea about JB/Cydia apps, I havent' JB'ed an iOS device in like 2 years.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Oh jeez, I have no idea about JB/Cydia apps, I havent' JB'ed an iOS device in like 2 years.
Why not? You realize how many awesome shortcuts/tweaks you're missing out on?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone