Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
It happens from time to time and that isn't every model. Obviously it is about to be discontinued though.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
It happens from time to time and that isn't every model. Obviously it is about to be discontinued though.

Yeah, I'm thinking about that "final" discontinuation where prices drop even more. I guess no 6 core 3.33 means it's not there yet.

I just started another pointless thread, nice one clamnectar :cool:

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
There was one there last night but gone this morning, figured it would go quick because the hex-core's usually get snapped up fast.
12-core is still over $5K and that's with the mighty (tired) 5770.

Might as well wait to see what they price the new one at, before jumping; there's always refurbs, months (sometimes years) after discontinuation.

mcfx

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
US
I wonder who buys those refurbs, $4100 for a 12-core @2.66ghz, 12GB, 1TB HDD MP is too much. You can find better deals online, you just have to hunt for them. I paid $3000 for a 12-core @2.66, 16GB RAM and 512GB Apple SSD from a 3rd party merchant (I can provide name if interested) - MP was in pristine condition, absolutely no scratches or dents and came in original box with all accessories.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
There was one there last night but gone this morning, figured it would go quick because the hex-core's usually get snapped up fast.
Yeah, mine has been solid, although the power supply has been acting odd for a year.

I was thinking of getting one of the Quads for another freelance station, they're reasonably priced considering how little has changed in the last few years.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
There are a lot of them and the prices are still to much.

Apple needs to drop the prices of the refurbs, so people will actually buy them.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
I searched for a 2012 hex core for weeks in the refurbished area - none were ever available, so I bought new.

MacMadness

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Dallas TX
No 6-Core 3.33GHZ, my personal favorite.

jdblas69 is right.

When 6-cores pop up on the Apple's site, they are usually gone within hours.
After 3 weeks of lurking on Ebay, I got lucky and found an OEM 2010
that was local here in Dallas (with 2 years of Applecare left) for $1800.
It was pretty barebones as far as specs,
which suited me fine since I had specific upgrade plans for it.

Been running it pretty hard doing hi-end retouching work for the past month
and couldn't be happier. It's a great workstation.:)

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
jdblas69 is right.

When 6-cores pop up on the Apple's site, they are usually gone within hours.
After 3 weeks of lurking on Ebay, I got lucky and found an OEM 2010
that was local here in Dallas (with 2 years of Applecare left) for $1800.
It was pretty barebones as far as specs,
which suited me fine since I had specific upgrade plans for it.

Been running it pretty hard doing hi-end retouching work for the past month
and couldn't be happier. It's a great workstation.:)
Glad you like yours, what upgrades did you go with?

MacMadness

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Dallas TX
Glad you like yours, what upgrades did you go with?

Loaded her up with OWC goodies...

(workstation for for retouching large 5-20GB files in Photoshop
with lots of layers and smart objects)

48GB ram (PS uses 33.34 GB...see below)
ATI 5870 video card
Boot drive: 480GB 6G SSD
PCIe: Two Accelesior 480GB SSD cards (1 work drive and 1 scratch for Photoshop)
HD's: Three 4TB Black Caviar drives (1 work, 1 backup and 1 for overflow, misc stuff)
Data additionally backed up to 2 external drives which are kept off the power grid when not in use)

Thanks for asking.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-01 at 1.14.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-01 at 1.14.58 PM.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Loaded her up with OWC goodies...

(workstation for for retouching large 5-20GB files in Photoshop
with lots of layers and smart objects)

48GB ram (PS uses 33.34 GB...see below)
ATI 5870 video card
Boot drive: 480GB 6G SSD
PCIe: Two Accelesior 480GB SSD cards (1 work drive and 1 scratch for Photoshop)
HD's: Three 4TB Black Caviar drives (1 work, 1 backup and 1 for overflow, misc stuff)
Data additionally backed up to 2 external drives which are kept off the power grid when not in use)

Thanks for asking.
Yeah, I love SSDs myself and OWC has gotten a fair amount of my business. Haven't outfitted anything since the PCIe cards came out. I've got one of the New 480s laying around here somewhere (I lost a 240 for 3 months once), but I just don't have time to slap it in, it's going to replace the older version in there now and that one's heading for a laptop.

Did you consider any other video card? I'm debating what to get now, but after reading the latest BareFeats tests, it looks like every card has its strengths and weakness. I've had the 5870 for a while, but it never seems to be working all that hard. Now that the New MacPro won't allow upgrades, all of a sudden there are lots of GPU choices.

Sounds like we're doing some of the same stuff, I get carried away on smart objects myself, although I'm pretty sure I don't have any 20Gig files.

I'll probably throw some upgrades in the Old Hex after the New MacPro comes out and I figure out if I want one or not.

MacMadness

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Dallas TX
Yeah, I love SSDs myself and OWC has gotten a fair amount of my business. Haven't outfitted anything since the PCIe cards came out. I've got one of the New 480s laying around here somewhere (I lost a 240 for 3 months once), but I just don't have time to slap it in, it's going to replace the older version in there now and that one's heading for a laptop.

Did you consider any other video card? I'm debating what to get now, but after reading the latest BareFeats tests, it looks like every card has its strengths and weakness. I've had the 5870 for a while, but it never seems to be working all that hard. Now that the New MacPro won't allow upgrades, all of a sudden there are lots of GPU choices.

Sounds like we're doing some of the same stuff, I get carried away on smart objects myself, although I'm pretty sure I don't have any 20Gig files.

I'll probably throw some upgrades in the Old Hex after the New MacPro comes out and I figure out if I want one or not.

I went with the 5870 because I got a great deal on it
from a friend who is the IT guy for a local ad agency. (250.00 NIB).
It works great for my photoshop work. (My old 640 and 5770 cards were very reliable, so stuck with what worked for me.)

I'd put that card in if I was you. It only takes 5 minutes.
Those 480 cards are pretty expensive...seems like a waste of $ to just have it laying around.

I do a fair amount of work on the AT&T account for an agency here in Dallas. We do all the in-store wall back-lit posters and those files can get pretty huge....

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I'd put that card in if I was you. It only takes 5 minutes.
Those 480 cards are pretty expensive...seems like a waste of $ to just have it laying around.
Yeah, putting it in is the easy part.

It was in my other MBPro, but it was faulty, after downloading Mountain Lion three times and installing it (Thanks for Downloads only, Apple), I found that out, had to move on with work. Fortunately I have enough machines that when one blows up I grab another, and get back to work.

Now I've got a fresh new one, just no time to configure it.

Last edited:

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
I need help with my internet browser. I can not view the missing 4-5 pages of items listed to warrant the $5,269.00 price tag on the "refurbished" 3.06GHz 12-Core! :eek:
After you "select" the Mac, a large calender with April 1st circled should appear!:D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.