Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
hey guys, I'm running guild wars 2 mac beta on macbook retina 15 and my fps fluctuates a lot. Sometimes when I start up a fresh game, I would get around 27 fps consistently, other times when I start up a new game, it would be around 60 fps consistently. Anyone know why there would be such a gap in frames?

My graphics card does turn on because I run gfxcardstatus and I see it when I play the game so I'm not sure why the fps is sometimes high and sometimes low... could my graphics card be damaged?

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
GW2 is a resource hog! :)

On OS X you have to play on low @ native or lower resolutions. It has the same porting issues as borderlands 2; it hitches EVERY time it needs to put something into memory, except when you put everything low.

I'd advice bootcamp with 2880x1800 with subsampling. This way you get around 1920x1200 res but have sharp text + you can crank up some effects :)

If you want to play 60fps I'd advice putting everything at low, res. doesn't seem to matter that way and FPS is great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.