Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Are both of these computers un-upgradeable after the initial specifications are selected?

I'm considering buying a MBA,13, base model, and only upgrading the ram. I'm trying to compare this computer to the base model 13" Retina MBP. I understand the difference in screen, but I'm more concerned with performance. How do they compare? Surprisingly, Google doesn't yield a whole lot of comparisons. For real world use, no major video processing, is the upgraded processor going to show any kind of difference?

Also, with all of the Macbooks getting rid of the ethernet port, is anyone else concerned about the speed or wireless internet vs wired? I was always under the impression that wired was much faster.

Finally, I'm upgrading from a 2010 MBA with 4 gb/ram, 1.86 ghz intel core 2. Am I going to notice a nice speed bump, no matter which computer I end up with?

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Are both of these computers un-upgradeable after the initial specifications are selected?

I'm considering buying a MBA,13, base model, and only upgrading the ram. I'm trying to compare this computer to the base model 13" Retina MBP. I understand the difference in screen, but I'm more concerned with performance. How do they compare? Surprisingly, Google doesn't yield a whole lot of comparisons. For real world use, no major video processing, is the upgraded processor going to show any kind of difference?

Also, with all of the Macbooks getting rid of the ethernet port, is anyone else concerned about the speed or wireless internet vs wired? I was always under the impression that wired was much faster.

Finally, I'm upgrading from a 2010 MBA with 4 gb/ram, 1.86 ghz intel core 2. Am I going to notice a nice speed bump, no matter which computer I end up with?

I originally got the MBP 13" i7 8GB and returned it for the MBPR 13" base model i5 8GB and found there to be no difference in performance since they both use the the same i5/i7 Ivy Bridge processors. Long story short switched a MBA 13" i7.

No having an Ethernet isn't a big deal since most places have wireless. Whether it's fast is another issue.

Either way you will see a nice speed bump from the C2D going to Ivy Bridge but the biggest difference is if you get a MBP MBPR 15" with quad core.

To me the MBPR 13" is one of the worse values unless you really need that Retina display and hate having the extra thickness and weight.

It seems your choices are mainly 13" so I would recommend a MBA or MBP 13"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.