Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1
confusediphone
macrumors newbie

Same Apple ID as husband, got his texts, did he get mine?

Last edited by confusediphone; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
confusediphone is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #2
1080p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusediphone View Post
we both have an Iphone 5, we both use his apple ID, every now and then my phone asks me if i want to use his number as my ID, i always click on "no" but by mistake today i clicked on "yes". which prompted my phone to send out messages to people in my address book to use his number from now on. as soon as i saw that i went into setting and unclicked his number as one to use to send/receive messages from.
then i noticed that i had received tons of his text messages between him and other people i didn't know.

my question is did he also get my texts between other people? and if so would the messages that i had deleted on my phone also have been sent to his phone?

i REALLY need to know this, so please anyone's help would be appreciated.

thanks
You need to set up a separate Apple ID than your husband's. Then only use your husband's for Appstore and iTunes. That way you guys can share your app purchases, iTunes purchases & iTunes Match if you use that. Use your Apple ID FaceTime & iMessage.

You can log in and out of these various services in Settings on your iPhone.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

my question is did he also get my texts between other people? and if so would the messages that i had deleted on my phone also have been sent to his phone?

thanks
The answer is... Probably. Me thinks in addition to another Apple ID, you might need to invest in some counseling. Or you could take the easy way out. Help! I got Hacked!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:04 PM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
we both have an Iphone 5, we both use his apple ID, every now and then my phone asks me if i want to use his number as my ID, i always click on "no" but by mistake today i clicked on "yes". which prompted my phone to send out messages to people in my address book to use his number from now on. as soon as i saw that i went into setting and unclicked his number as one to use to send/receive messages from.
then i noticed that i had received tons of his text messages between him and other people i didn't know.

thanks
Sounds like you should probably ask him.

As for Apple IDs, I'd strongly recommend creating your own and keeping most, if not all, things like this (i.e. iPhone-related) separate.

I know there have been threads in the past where people note to separate everything except for App Store accounts & purchases but I personally disagree wouldn't bother with that; no app that I can think of costs enough money that I could justify not paying twice for it (if we're going to have it on two devices).

Anyway, if you "REALLY need to know" if your texts ended up being visible on his phone, ask him.

Last edited by r2shyyou; Jan 25, 2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: poor choice of words
r2shyyou is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
EHFink
macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who's picking up the I'm-cheating-on-my-husband-and-flipping-out-now-because-I-might-be-busted vibe?
EHFink is offline   14
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:21 PM   #6
1080p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Sounds like you should probably ask him.

I know there have been threads in the past where people note to separate everything except for App Store accounts & purchases but I personally disagree with that; no app that I can think of costs enough money that I could justify not paying twice for it (if we're going to have it on two devices).
But Apple specifically allows you do have apps on several devices. I most certainly shouldn't be expected to pay for the $5 games I bought for myself and each one of my kids... especially if I am following Apple's guidelines which allow for multiple devices on a single Apple iTunes account. More personal services such as iCloud, email, FaceTime & iMessage need a separate Apple ID, as those services are not meant to be shared. There is nothing "immoral" about it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHFink View Post
Am I the only one who's picking up the I'm-cheating-on-my-husband-and-flipping-out-now-because-I-might-be-busted vibe?
Nope.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
But Apple specifically allows you do have apps on several devices. I most certainly shouldn't be expected to pay for the $5 games I bought for myself and each one of my kids... especially if I am following Apple's guidelines which allow for multiple devices on a single Apple iTunes account. More personal services such as iCloud, email, FaceTime & iMessage need a separate Apple ID, as those services are not meant to be shared. There is nothing "immoral" about it.
I wasn't trying to imply that I thought doing so was "immoral" in some way or that Apple didn't allow it. My point was that the apps that I've noticed (and that have had even just a slight bit of appeal to me) were not priced such that I'd make any effort to avoid paying the dev(s) twice.

Everyone's free to do as they wish. I'm not arguing against that. I guess that, in my experience, keeping some Apple services separate and others not separate would require effort that I don't think I can personally justify (or would even choose to take on).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
yup
pnoyblazed is offline   3
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
I could not agree more. Maybe she should worry more about her marriage and doing the right thing then how to delete some messages and how to get separate apple IDS. Maybe the OP should have thought about this before she started sexting someone other then her husband. Just saying
Brounmoney is offline   3
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Why are you asking us if you can easily ask your husband, unless there's some malicious intent going on?
JayLenochiniMac is offline   3
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Did you go in an double check the settings regarding "Messages"?

This is a "tab" in the Messages settings that is called "Send and Receive". If you click on that it shows which devices can send and receive messages on or from that device. My wife and I both use the same Apple ID and I just make sure my settings only show my cell number (checked) and my personal email. The only question with this is that it might be only for "iMessage" texts. I'm not sure on this. I know that when I first set her phone up we were getting messages on a few of our devices (her i5 and her new iPad 4), so I just made sure the Messages only had our specific number checked.

What's weird is that I've never received the pop-up message you are referring to that you mistakenly hit "yes" on.

Good luck.
Browns2212 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:22 PM   #12
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Ruh Roh!

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploa...ooby_doo_2.jpg
aphexacid is offline   5
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:31 PM   #13
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Oh, poor OP. Went back into her post and deleted all content but alas, she couldn't remove the quoted text in all of the following posts. Ahem.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Nope.
----------
I was wrong, I was betting it would take at least 5 posts before someone accused her of cheating on her husband, glad I'm not the only one that didn't jump there immediately.
Interstella5555 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:49 PM   #15
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

iDivorce.
duneriderltr450 is offline   4
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
clockworkorange
macrumors regular

Apple's iMessage App. Exposing extra-marital affairs since 2011.

That's why google voice is such a nice addition. that or that one app with the burner numbers.
clockworkorange is offline   2
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:07 PM   #17
5enohpi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
iDivorce.
Haha!!

----------

Shouldn't have been doing **** u weren't supposed to
5enohpi is offline   2
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:15 PM   #18
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
LMAO, you cant decide to post something then delete it and think that you actually deleted it forever. LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Of course not!!! that's the ONLY reason people post such rings then think they can just delete the post . LOL. Not on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
iDivorce.
Lets hope so for his sake.
BHP41 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:16 PM   #19
dcpmark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
That way you guys can share your app purchases, iTunes purchases & iTunes Match if you use that.
The only things the OP will be sharing with her husband in the future are herpes, court filing fees, and custody of their children.
dcpmark is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Text messages no. iMessage possible if you both used the same apple id to sign into iMessage. Lets hope the messages you didn't want seen were from someone not using an iPhone...

Cricket cricket.
Scrub175 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:23 PM   #21
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub175 View Post
Text messages no. iMessage possible if you both used the same apple id to sign into iMessage. Lets hope the messages you didn't want seen were from someone not using an iPhone...

Cricket cricket.
I don't think we should "hope" for anything other than the truth to be reveled to her husband. I actually "hope" that the poor person finds out what's really going on and both can move on with their lives instead of one trying to have pieces of two pies.
BHP41 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
I don't think we should "hope" for anything other than the truth to be reveled to her husband. I actually "hope" that the poor person finds out what's really going on and both can move on with their lives instead of one trying to have pieces of two pies.
True. Benefit of the doubt it may be something besides cheating. But it walks like a duck and talks like a duck so it prolly is cheating.
Scrub175 is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:13 PM   #23
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

If what I'm suspecting is true, poor husband .
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:01 AM   #24
Johnnygogo
macrumors member

I accidentally got pregnant by another man. How much sex do I have to have with my husband to switch the DNA of the baby to his. Please help ASAP. Hey at least this troll was entertaining. I call ba

Last edited by Johnnygogo; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Misspell
Johnnygogo is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland