Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Hey all I just received my Apogee one today and was messing around with my electric guitar. There seems to be a lot of noise pretty much at any volume level with or without headphones.

I noticed when I am holding the guitar and touch the amp cable near where either of the cable plug-ins go, the noise completely disappears. Of course it's not really practical to try and touch these parts while playing or recording.. but having my hand clasped around it completely fixes the problem (am I grounding it or something..?)

Does anyone know what it might be? I feel like the problem is really obvious, I just don't know enough about these things to really figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hey all I just received my Apogee one today and was messing around with my electric guitar. It works great and perfect with headphones, but when I change the output to my Macbook speakers, there's a lot of noise.

I noticed when I am holding the guitar and touch the amp cable near where either of the cable plug-ins go, the noise completely disappears. Of course it's not really practical to try and touch these parts while playing or recording.. but having my hand clasped around it completely fixes the problem (am I grounding it or something..?)

Does anyone know what it might be? I feel like the problem is really obvious, I just don't know enough about these things to really figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Seems you have external interference.

Try this, switch off wifi for a moment and if you have USB 3 connected disconnect, they are known to emit Radio Waves.
It does not seem you have a ground loop, this would have a low Hz sound instead of static noise.

Edit: which Apogee product?

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Alright I tried turning off wifi and unplugging absolutely everything.

Connected the ONE via USB and ran it in garage band, and there's still a bit of static buzz.. constant and irritating! Aghh I thought this would be as easy as plug and play.

It's Apogee ONE

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Alright I tried turning off wifi and unplugging absolutely everything.

Connected the ONE via USB and ran it in garage band, and there's still a bit of static buzz.. constant and irritating! Aghh I thought this would be as easy as plug and play.

It's Apogee ONE

I have some interference on my old and rusty Powerbook when I use iTunes and my headset, don't know where it comes from, might be from the power source here, I live in Indonesia and the common wire is not 0 Volts.

Interference is hard to find without professional measuring gear, it can be as easy as changing the channel on a wireless device or a microwave Oven but can also be very hard when the source is not inside your house.

It could also be the cable you use, the batter the shielding the less problems with interference.
If you have other Cables I would give them a try.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
then you may have a ground loop

samples of what it sound like are on that page for both 50 and 60 Hz depending on what kind of power you have where you live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.