Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sendaii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
I screwed up my iTunes music library by rewriting the album name of ALL my albums, to the same name. Now I'm trying to undo it. I've tried various things:

1. Using the Previous iTunes Library folder to change the .itl file
2. Used a backup to rewrite the Music folder within the iTunes Media/Music folder

None of these solutions worked. It seems that it keeps updating back to the corrupt library. I think it may have something to do with iTunes match but can't be certain. I've tried it various ways, turning iTunes Match off first before replacing folders and such, but when I start iTunes back up, iTunes Match is turned back on and it says it's updating my library and reverts the albums names back to the corrupt names.

Has anyone had this problem before and what are some other possible solutions I can try?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Has anyone had this problem before and what are some other possible solutions I can try?
Restore from your backups your whole iTunes library (including music files) from before you made the accidental change.

The album name is one of the pieces of data taht is updated in the music file. Reverting to an older .itl file can't fix that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.