Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi, I have a 120 inch 16:9 huge screen, which I use at my home theatre room and we watch all Blu-Ray movies at 16:9 wide screen. At that time, the projector source is my Blu-Ray Player and amplifier through HDMI.

I want do project the same 16:9 widescreen way from my iPad

How do we do that ?

As soon as I connect my PC and projector through a RGB cable, the screen resolution of the PC changes to square 4:3 resolution. Why is that ?

And on the projector screen, then wide view is totally gone and I see the squarish view 4:3 view ?

How do I get the complete 16:9 output to projector screen from an iPad ?

I also tried through HDMI and my Apple Macbook Retina, I still dont get the wide view.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I also tried through HDMI and my Apple Macbook Retina, I still dont get the wide view.

On the topic of your MacBook, MacBooks (except for the MBA) have a 16:10 aspect ratio. So that explains the black bars even when using that.

I really don't want to guide you in the wrong direction, but I don't think you can do anything about the aspect ratio with your iPad. Mirroring videos though I think will scale just fine. I think. I know with AirPlay it corrects.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How do I get the complete 16:9 output to projector screen from an iPad ?
If you're mirroring you're not going to get 16:9 since the iPad is not 16:9. If you have 16:9 content then playing it via the adapter should yield the proper aspect ratio.

On the topic of your MacBook, MacBooks (except for the MBA) have a 16:10 aspect ratio. So that explains the black bars even when using that.
Macbook can be set to use the resolution and aspect ratio of the display. Again, if mirroring the built-in display then its aspect ratio will be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.