Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Came into work this morning, and none of the imacs would power on.

Tested the electricity trunking, all fine. It turned out they all needed the power cutting for 10 seconds, then they'd power on fine after that.

Would a power spike cause that?

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
knowing nothing about it i would think a spike would cause some "safety switch" to trigger, then requiring power off

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Came into work this morning, and none of the imacs would power on.

Tested the electricity trunking, all fine. It turned out they all needed the power cutting for 10 seconds, then they'd power on fine after that.

Would a power spike cause that?

They were all asleep and you didn't give them enough time to 'wake'?

Your wiring is faulty and not enough power was being received to power the machines after they had shut down due to perhaps a power cut, when you reset the power it supplied the correct load. Check your wiring for faults?

Thats my best guesses

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
They were all asleep and you didn't give them enough time to 'wake'?

Your wiring is faulty and not enough power was being received to power the machines after they had shut down due to perhaps a power cut, when you reset the power it supplied the correct load. Check your wiring for faults?

Thats my best guesses

They definately weren't asleep..... I've been looking after macs for a long long time.

Wiring is fine, we've had an electirican out to check it all...

Im guessing there was a power spike over the weekend.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
It's too much load powering all on at once.

When we do computer rooms you need to install a breaker to take a large start up current.

That might be it, all our computers are set to boot up at 8.30am

We've never had the problem before...... Ill have to keep an eye on it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
They definately weren't asleep..... I've been looking after macs for a long long time.

Wiring is fine, we've had an electirican out to check it all...

Im guessing there was a power spike over the weekend.

Yep, we had this a while back here too....Depending on your power settings for the machines, I'd say that's exactly what happened...A spike or a brown out. I'm guessing you are surge protected so no damage will have been done, but re-setting SMC on them would be a good idea.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I'd reset the SMC. To make things easier, can the OP stagger the time the Macs come on? This way, the initial inrush of everything starting (inrush current to spin up HDDs and fans) isn't hitting the circuit all at once.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I'd reset the SMC. To make things easier, can the OP stagger the time the Macs come on? This way, the initial inrush of everything starting (inrush current to spin up HDDs and fans) isn't hitting the circuit all at once.

Im not the actual tech, but ill suggest it to them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.