Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lspurge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Sitting on its own, only about 30 mins after the last time I checked my phone at work, I found my iPhone 4 on the famed "white screen of death". I came home and looked up all sorts of different suggestions and possible solutions and I have tried them all:

Holding the home button and the hold button (even for up to five minutes) and I still have the same screen. The suggestions/videos show a reboot with the apple logo appearing, but this hasn't happened.

I have also tried to "Restore" the phone on iTunes now three times. I have been having problems all day since I downloaded the new Facebook app 24 hours ago so I have deleted the app and tried another restore, but this didn't work either.

Does anyone have any possible suggestions?!?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Let it die and hopefully it will boot normally. If it goes back to the white screen, maybe after it restarts it'll let you enter DFU mode.

lspurge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks iBreatheApple, that's what I'll try next. So to get into dfu mode I hold the two keys again, and the notice comes up saying it detects an iphone in recovery mode, etc. What do I do from there?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Thanks iBreatheApple, that's what I'll try next. So to get into dfu mode I hold the two keys again, and the notice comes up saying it detects an iphone in recovery mode, etc. What do I do from there?

FROM DFU mode, see if it lets you do a hard reset, (both buttons) that might fix whatever glitch you have. If not, I guess your only bet is to restore from backup (or as new.)

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did you happen to update your Facebook App before this? That's Wat happened to a friend of mine. Not sure if it was a coincidence or what.

lspurge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Yeah, I had updated the facebook app 24 hours before and had problems with it all day until that happened.

I haven't been able to drain the battery yet because I can't make it do any functions!!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Mine has done this as well! Well, it has a moving "snow" sort of pattern across the screen.

The symptom that started it was that the screen flashed dim and now it is stuck. I wish the phone had a battery, or at least a physical switch to turn it off and remove power from it.

I'm just going to have to let the battery drain. :rolleyes:

Edit: Posting here seems to have made it run out of power. :)

Edit 2: Restoring it with DFU mode. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

cashdaddy23

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
iphone 4s all white screen

dropped my iphone 4s @ work and now screen is all white!!!!!!!! phone still works is able to receive calls and txts. anybody have any idea how to fix it???????????//

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.