Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
palmharbor
Banned

SLEIPNIR invades your mac, ALERT

When I installed Chrome on my 10.8.2 Mac, the default browser became
SLEIPNIR...it had actually installed itself in my Applications folder WITHOUT MY PERMISSION...if this company can invade your computer through Chrome, how many others can do this and install malware, viruses, etc? Google has no contact me so you cannot tell them this is occuring. I went to their facebook page but they have it set so no criticism will be saved. I tried twice.
this type of invasion to my computer that I paid for and I own is an act
that should be punishable by criminal penalties.
I hope this will not be deleted because I am critical of SLEIPNIR but
it might be.
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmharbor View Post
SLEIPNIR...it had actually installed itself in my Applications folder WITHOUT MY PERMISSION...if this company can invade your computer through Chrome, how many others can do this and install malware, viruses, etc? Google has no contact me so you cannot tell them this is occuring. I went to their facebook page but they have it set so no criticism will be saved. I tried twice.
it might be.
It seems much more likely that you became confused and installed Sleipnir when you thought you were installing Chrome. From where did you obtain the "Chrome" that you installed?

Since millions of people have installed Chrome and not been "invaded" by Sleipnir, I don't think the rest of us have much to worry about.

Last edited by LPZ; Feb 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
LPZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:46 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
it might be.
It sounds like you didn't install Chrome from Google's site, and you inadvertently installed Sleipnir. Chrome didn't install it. You gave it permission when you went through the install process, so it didn't install itself.

You can remove it quite easily. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
palmharbor
Banned

Sleipnit

If that is the case...it was deceptive at best and there was NO disclosure
that they would install an application on my hard drive.
There was no question that said:
Do we have permission to install our application on you hard drive?
I deleted Chrome and it came back 20 minutes later in my dock.
Something is deceptive here.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:10 PM   #5
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
If that is the case...it was deceptive at best and there was NO disclosure
that they would install an application on my hard drive.
There was no question that said:
Do we have permission to install our application on you hard drive?
I deleted Chrome and it came back 20 minutes later in my dock.
Something is deceptive here.
Where did you download Chrome from?

What you're talking about makes no sense. This other app you have must be a separate thing you downloaded, provided you got Chrome from the official Google download page.

Follow the steps GGJstudios provided above to remove this other app you have.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Your talking about a very good dev here. Not true at all.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:16 PM   #7
palmharbor
Banned

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Where did you download Chrome from?

What you're talking about makes no sense. This other app you have must be a separate thing you downloaded, provided you got Chrome from the official Google download page.

Follow the steps GGJstudios provided above to remove this other app you have.
I googled Chrome for mac download and they deceptively suck people in thinking they are going to get a clean copy of Chrome. I don't know why U defend people who are out to deceive people on the net. They have no business offering to provide Chrome...its not their product and they do not have the rights to that product. If I could contact Google about what was done, I am sure they would take action but they are so big they do not have any kind of contact us link.The defense of Sleipnir makes no sense to me...unless perhaps you in fact work for them?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:19 PM   #8
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
I googled Chrome for mac download and they deceptively suck people in thinking they are going to get a clean copy of Chrome. I don't know why U defend people who are out to deceive people on the net. They have no business offering to provide Chrome...its not their product and they do not have the rights to that product. If I could contact Google about what was done, I am sure they would take action but they are so big they do not have any kind of contact us link.The defense of Sleipnir makes no sense to me...unless perhaps you in fact work for them?
I am still at a loss of what you're going on about. You still haven't answered the question, where did you download Chrome from? If you downloaded it from the official Google Chrome page, here, you did not get this SLEIPNIR app from there.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:36 PM   #9
dmrowley
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think you are stretching a bit here. You obviously downloaded from a non-trusted source. See the Google results below. Top hit is from Google itself. Overreact much?

Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome for mac download - Google Search.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	398968
Canon EOS 60D, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 DX II
dmrowley is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Getting a 'clean' copy of Chrome is quite easy. The only way to not get such a copy is to download it from an untrustworthy source, which apparently you did. Will you tell us what site you went to? I've asked you this question in another topic and you never answered. Please go back to your history and link us to the page you used that somehow downloaded Sleipnir instead of Chrome.

SandboxGeneral isn't defending Sleipnir at all.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:44 PM   #11
palmharbor
Banned

3 days ago

Its been three days, I don't know what the URL was but I guarantee you Google did not create this browser so Sleipnir could hijack it and put in their browser...What if a doctor had a website and it said click here to talk to the office and instead of Dr. Wolf the ENT you phone was connected to Dr. Berg ENT?
Sorry, I will not drink the Geek Coolaide and say the computer user is at fault.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Even if it's been three days unless you sanitize your browser history the link will still be in there. Should be easy enough to find.

It isn't geek kool-aid. It's the experience of tens (if not hundreds) of millions of people who use Chrome every day. I'm using Chrome right now. If Google's page was somehow being hijacked to install Sleipnir on people's systems, we'd be hearing much more about it instead of just having your word to go by.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:56 PM   #13
FoxFifth
macrumors regular

Quote:
... If I could contact Google about what was done, I am sure they would take action but they are so big they do not have any kind of contact us link. ...
If you do a Google search for "google contact us" you will find the following which includes methods to "Report a safety or abuse issue affecting a Google product" and "Report inappropriate use of a Google trademark" -- one of which may be appropriate if in fact someone is advertising a Chrome download and delivering something else. Not sure if that is what happened but here is the link: http://www.google.com/contact/
FoxFifth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:47 PM   #14
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Nobody is defending this sleaze ball company. There are lots of bad guys in the world. if you do not learn to how compute safely... you will continue to have problems. You screwed up. Own up to it, learn from it, and move on.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:55 AM   #15
palmharbor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFifth View Post
If you do a Google search for "google contact us" you will find the following which includes methods to "Report a safety or abuse issue affecting a Google product" and "Report inappropriate use of a Google trademark" -- one of which may be appropriate if in fact someone is advertising a Chrome download and delivering something else. Not sure if that is what happened but here is the link: http://www.google.com/contact/
the contact does NOT include issues with Chrome...it is not listed at all.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #16
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

This is a troll post guys. This person is intentionally avoiding your questions and trying to reshift the focus of the thread back onto their careless decision out of shame or to elicit a reaction.

As has been mentioned before, if you google "chrome for mac", the very first link links you directly to google's website to download it.
hkim1983 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:28 AM   #17
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Even if it's been three days unless you sanitize your browser history the link will still be in there. Should be easy enough to find.

It isn't geek kool-aid. It's the experience of tens (if not hundreds) of millions of people who use Chrome every day. I'm using Chrome right now. If Google's page was somehow being hijacked to install Sleipnir on people's systems, we'd be hearing much more about it instead of just having your word to go by.
I'm wondering if this is just a bizarre attempt at trolling by the OP. If he can't even remember where he downloaded it from - even though he claims to remember that the installer never asked for permission to install the other browser - based on what does he fault Google or anybody for that matter?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkim1983 View Post
This is a troll post guys. This person is intentionally avoiding your questions and trying to reshift the focus of the thread back onto their careless decision out of shame or to elicit a reaction.

As has been mentioned before, if you google "chrome for mac", the very first link links you directly to google's website to download it.
looks like we had the same idea, at the same time ; )
AndiS. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
the contact does NOT include issues with Chrome...it is not listed at all.
Funnily enough, there's a Chrome help page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkim1983 View Post
That's entirely possible. He's posted similar topics which ended up in him leaving because he had no evidence but his word. No doubt this is exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
I'm wondering if this is just a bizarre attempt at trolling by the OP. If he can't even remember where he downloaded it from - even though he claims to remember that the installer never asked for permission to install the other browser - based on what does he fault Google or anybody for that matter?
Clearly it can't be his own fault. Nope, has to be someone else's.

palmharbor… use a little more thought and imagination when searching, for your own sake. Good luck with your next self-inflicted disaster.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:07 PM   #19
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
You can google a download for anything and get stolen or cracked or not-correct versions of just about anything. Why blame Google? You have to have some common sense about what you download and install. Google can't possibly keep track of all of the sites that offer fake versions of software.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:09 PM   #20
sniffs
macrumors member

Quote:
Its been three days, I don't know what the URL was but I guarantee you Google did not create this browser so Sleipnir could hijack it and put in their browser...What if a doctor had a website and it said click here to talk to the office and instead of Dr. Wolf the ENT you phone was connected to Dr. Berg ENT?
Sorry, I will not drink the Geek Coolaide and say the computer user is at fault.
What you're basically saying is that the #1 worldwide browser, with hundreds of millions of installs picked YOU, and randomly installed SLEIPNIR..

OR, what's more likely.. you Googled it and clicked the WRONG link to install it?

Look at where you are clicking.. if you clicked xyz.illownyourface.com/CHROMEBROWSER instead of clicking something from google.com/CHROME you obviously got the wrong file.

No offense, but learn2internet better.
sniffs is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
invasion, sleipnir