Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
people aren't stupid - they've seen the Nano form factor flip flop and how Apple touts it as "all new" each time. they throw in great features, then take them away, then reintroduce them and call it "all new". enough is enough

Apple needs to add features to the Nano - not take them away. Bluetooth was LONG overdue. hell, this thing should at least have Wifi for AirPlay, Wifi sync, etc.

the reason why we aren't seeing Nanos all over the place is b/c the people around us who would have bought a Nano most likely spent the extra $50 and bought an actual $199 iPhone 16GB (subsidized price) where they can use iTunes Match and stream all 80GB+ of their music at their finger tips without the need to store anything locally. this is the same reason i don't see the iPod Touch anywhere either. the Nano has lost its purpose with the exception of people who use it to work out (i do), or 12 yr olds. but even 12 yr olds are getting iPhones.
Apple is smart - they are doing this on purpose. the margins on iPods are pitiful compared to the all-mighty iPhone. if they could dissolve their entire iPod line in exchange for everyone owning an iPhone they would do it.

for the sake of keeping the Nano innovative, it should at least have wifi and the ability to output via AirPlay and also stream from iTunes Match. the iPod Nano would work great to double as a home music remote. also bring back the camera and video camera, which would sync to a Macbook or Windows PC via Photo Stream when on wifi. these are all minor modifications that can still maintain the thin profile, albeit it would need to be a bit longer device than the current 7th gen. i'm OK with that though
I haven't touched iTunes Match yet. But technically speaking, the word you're thinking of is Planned Obsolescence.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have one, and I love it. I just think that there are not a lot of people left that will buy a device that is purely media and nothing more.

The touchscreen is great, especially since it's much, much bigger than the previous Nano. I have big hands, and I have no trouble navigating it. I use it everyday to listen to music, listen to podcasts and audiobooks, and to count my steps. I like watching a little video on it too. Having my iTunes U content on it is great too. while I'd have probably upgraded my iPhone and iPad twice, this little Nano will probably be kicking around.

People were hoping that it was going to be another "watch" form iPod. And I think that is why it probably didn't sell as well as the previous generation. But there were also people like me who didn't want to take a chance on a product that small too. So they made it bigger and made it much easier to use.

It feels great in my pocket too.

I'm thinking of picking one up. Do you like the touch-input better than the old click wheel?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm thinking of picking one up. Do you like the touch-input better than the old click wheel?

It's not as cumbersome, but I wouldn't say it's better, it's different.

My problem with the click wheel was that when I'd go and try and change something, I'd have the hold button on, so I'd always try and do something, and nothing would happen, and it'd be that.

Didn't you say you had the 6th gen? The bigger screen would be a lot easier to use.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Didn't you say you had the 6th gen? The bigger screen would be a lot easier to use.

I have a 16GB 5th generation I bought back in 2010 and an 8GB 6th generation I won. Neither one has very good battery life anymore unless it's not in constant use. I use my 6th gen just as a watch and to listen to music for a few minutes as I walk between classes on campus. It lasts about 2 weeks like that which is great, but it can't hold much of my library.

My favorite iPod thus far is my 5th generation. I love the simple, straightforward interface and I like the click wheel because it didn't feel like I was using an iOS device. I am worried that the touch input would be cumbersome to use for a quick pull out of your pocket and change albums scenario? Is it? The thing is, I also love my Nano for it's sentimental value. It was my first digital product (I was using a CD player before that), my first Apple product, and reminds me of when I really liked Apple (i'm less happy now). It's pretty beat up though and has bad battery life because it was dead for over a year. I thought I could get the battery swapped for $70, but you actually get an entire refurb device. I don't know if I'd want to give up the one I have :/.

The thing is, iOS devices don't make outstanding music players. You have to do a lot of interaction because of the lack of physical button controls and they're always beeping with a text, email, push notification. Bleh. I like having a device just for music. The biggest thing about getting the 7th gen is it is only 16GB. I mean, that's okay, but since my current Nano is 16GB i'm having a hard time justifying it. Plus, my library will soon pass 15GB. If it was just 32GB at $150 I'd probably be sold.

Some questions about the 7th gen:
  1. Is the touch input okay for on-the-fly navigation? I mean, I don't really like using my iPhone because there so much input required to use.
  2. You've had your 7th gen for a while correct? Are the buttons holding up well? I am worried that pushing the buttons a hundred times a day would wear them down like an iPhone's home button.
  3. In generally, are you happy with it? I'm not sure if I like the whole "shrunken down iPhone/iTouch design." I liked using a device different than the devices I'm used to.
  4. How durable has it been for you? Have you dropped it? Does it scratch very easy?

I am anxious for the 14th to see if there is a rumored iPod refresh. I'd love either a cheeper Nano or more storage at it's current price. Sorry I wrote so much, but I'd love some feedback on it. I don't know anyone with one unfortunately. Everyone I know is using Pandora/Spotify on their smartphone. -___-

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
To change an album it's the power/or home button, the music button, then artists/albums, then the album, then the first song, so five or six taps. I never think about stuff like this, and it doesn't bother ME personally.

I've dropped it a few times, but it's still in good shape. The Apple logo can easily scratch, but the paint itself seems pretty resistant. The buttons are holding up fine, I don't think much about that either. I've been pretty lucky, all my stuff has reached EOL because the batteries got shot.

I'm happy with it. Just wish it had more space.

It's not that I'm not happy with Apple, I just get more disappointed everyday. But the alternatives bother me more.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's not that I'm not happy with Apple, I just get more disappointed everyday. But the alternatives bother me more.

Thank you for the feedback. If they'd just bump to 32GB I'd get one tomorrow. I'll have to think about it at 16GB.

I also like how you worded that. That's a better way to describe; growing disappointment. And, like you said, the alternatives still bug me more.

Last edited:

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
It's great to see how many people posted positive comments about the iPod nano. Bring on the apps (equivalent at least to my 5th generation iPod nano capabilities), more storage at the same price, and the new colors (especially that blue) would tempt me to buy a new iPod nano. I'd like to see local sync remain as an option since Internet's not aways available to me. Alternatives to iPod don't appeal to me either at this point, so I hope this week - Tuesday? - brings forth updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.