Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #26
nizmoz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmharbor View Post
problem was discovered and if it was fixed...but you will after you
set it up. If its bad, they will repair it but NOT replace it.
Don't cheap out...buy a new one.
Actually already bought a new one and typing on it now. Slowly setting it up!
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 10:57 PM   #27
DFWHD
macrumors member

Quote:
Not so much... Refurb macs come with the same warranty as new and are repaired OR replaced with new units if found to be defective. I purchased a refurb macbook pro for my niece last year and it had a bad display on arrival - took it to the apple store and was replaced on the spot with a new one. I've got three refurbs in my home and all are operating as good as new for anywhere from 3 months to 18 months flawlessly...
DFWHD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 06:23 AM   #28
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
What a load of fertilizer. Yes the system may have had an issue, but Apple has definitely fixed it before they put it up for sale as refurbished.

And you ignore the fact that refurbished machines can be systems that people bought and returned for one reason or another. In some cases they decided on a different system. Got buyers remorse and just returned it.

And while you can get a refurbished system that has an issue or develops an issue soon after you get it, the same can be true about buying a system new.

What makes buying Apple refurbished worthwhile is that you get a full warranty and can add AppleCare to it. And also with the price discount you can either save money or buy a better system than you could afford to get new.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:23 PM   #29
Red Fuji
macrumors member

Let me share my new Refurburbished imacker disappointment story. As i was opening the inner white box that contained my carefully packed Imac, i discovered in horror that the box is plain white ! - i was expecting the pretty Apple logo box that i seen in pictures many times - no this one is plain with no Apples on it. At that point my heart sank to my torso with grief .. but luckly i am young and healthy and my little heart was able to take the shock with fair stride and the tears dried up quickly as i began using and enjoying my new Refurbished Imacker !
Old May 8, 2013, 10:35 PM   #30
Arfdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWHD View Post
Not so much... Refurb macs come with the same warranty as new and are repaired OR replaced with new units if found to be defective. I purchased a refurb macbook pro for my niece last year and it had a bad display on arrival - took it to the apple store and was replaced on the spot with a new one. I've got three refurbs in my home and all are operating as good as new for anywhere from 3 months to 18 months flawlessly...
So you can potentially get a new Mac for the price of refurb?
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 08:46 PM   #31
DFWHD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
So you can potentially get a new Mac for the price of refurb?
Potentially, but not definitely. It has happened twice for me at the Apple store in Frisco TX. First was a refurb iPad - it died a week after arrival. Took it up to the store and they did a swap for a new sealed one on the spot. The refurb MBP was just before last Christmas, same store. That one arrived with a bad display panel. They did have to discuss it and get manager approval, but after about 30 minutes I walked out with a new unit. I think it may have helped that I always buy applecare at the time of purchase, but who knows...

IMO, refurb units are as good as new. I'm typing on my late 2012 27" iMac refurb that came in a couple of weeks ago. That one had more memory on board than it was advertised to have (16GB vs 8GB in the spec) so it provided even more value.
DFWHD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 05:07 AM   #32
Shivetya
macrumors 65816

I have purchased a few refurb items from Apple and never have been disappointed. For me the savings involved more than covers the taxes!!! Now the only time it may be an issue is if you don't want the box that indicates refurbished, when reselling some people may be hesitant to buy it.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:15 AM   #33
AgRacer
macrumors member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
Just picked up my new iMac from the apple store!! They had an i7 3.4, 680mx, 1tb fusion, 8gb of ram with edu discount and apple care it came out well. On the way home now with it! I will put my 16gb of ram from my MBP corsair vengeance in it for now.
??? Apple gives an education discount on refurb units?
AgRacer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:32 AM   #34
nizmoz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgRacer View Post
??? Apple gives an education discount on refurb units?
It's a new one I bought. Stores do not carry refurbs for IMACs to sell.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac