Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:30 PM   #26
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
If the NRA would agree to universal background checks maybe we can get the guns out of the crackpots hands. There are probably some NRA members that are too unstable to own a gun.
Totally agree.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:13 PM   #27
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
The same thing could be said about the libs and gun control, or other things. Why not go after the government to crack down on criminals ...
Um. They do crack down on criminals.

They arrest them.

And put them in prison.

Quote:
... and keep guns out of the hands of crazy people and leave the law abiding people alone?
How will you implement psychological tests for the entire population?

How will you explain to people who fail the test, but never acted out violently, that they're now barred from owning a firearm?

How would you react if that failed test-taker was you?

Quote:
I mean killing whales is wrong, killing seals is wrong, chopping trees down is wrong there is a owl in there, no walking on the beach because there is a plover, no driving in the forest because there is a slug on the flat rocks and you might run it over.....but yea, go ahead and kill a baby, that's a personal choice.
You miss killing whales and seals don'tcha?

I feel for you.

I hate those ****ing whales.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:29 PM   #28
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
When I read that I instantly thought, "The South will rise again, arrrrggggghhhh!!!" Haha.

Seriously though, why is it these anti-government, pro-"freedom", pro-"states rights" people always want to get involved in things they are against? Doesn't that go against all logic and screams of hypocrisy?

What better way to rob a bank than from the CEO's office?

Same goes for government, if you want to destroy it, get elected and start cutting at programs, precedent, and hell do some illegal stuff. After all, if your stated mission is to reduce ineffective government, you yourself should **** it up to prove your own point. Self fulfilling prophecy.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:40 PM   #29
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
How will you implement psychological tests for the entire population?

How will you explain to people who fail the test, but never acted out violently, that they're now barred from owning a firearm?

I am not qualified to make that decision. And you wouldn't have to figure it out for the entire population, just the ones that want guns duh.

Quote:
How would you react if that failed test-taker was you?
Seeing that I have owned guns for longer than most of the people on this forum have been alive, have many many high capacity magazines, and have yet to go on a school shooting spree, I don't think I would have to worry about it so I can't respond to that hypothetical.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:46 PM   #30
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I am not qualified to make that decision. And you wouldn't have to figure it out for the entire population, just the ones that want guns duh.
Seems to me you'd need to test the people who bought the guns AND anybody who'd have access to those guns as well.

Think about in the Sandy Hook shooting. The mom bought the guns, but her son was the "crazy" one who killed 26 people.

How do you test for that?

And what are you testing for?

What is the common psychological indicator that will identify a potential shooter?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:53 AM   #31
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Self fulfilling prophecy.

That's it!

In practice it looks like this.....

When Republicans are in office, they run up the debt with two wars, cut taxes for corporations and the rich, enact legislation that forces the Post Office to pay into a shady pension fun, deregulate the markets, and enter free trade agreements that syphon money out of our economy. All of this creates a bubble and bursts on them in the end.

After Republicans get booted out of office and Democrats are elected, Republicans cry "bloody murder" at the mess they left behind and claim that Democrats aren't cleaning it fast enough while the Republicans obstruct any of the remedies Democrats try to push forward to stop the bleeding. Democrats allow themselves to get stomped on by Republicans and Republicans gain House seats and make the problem worse. Democrats continue to cave to Republicans and all of this keeps spiraling out of control until our country is taken back 150 years. And the South will rise again, arrrrggghhhh!!!!!!
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:14 AM   #32
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Seems to me you'd need to test the people who bought the guns AND anybody who'd have access to those guns as well.

Think about in the Sandy Hook shooting. The mom bought the guns, but her son was the "crazy" one who killed 26 people.

How do you test for that?

And what are you testing for?

What is the common psychological indicator that will identify a potential shooter?
Again, I am not the professional in that field so I can't answer that. The mom should have had the guns secured.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues