ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

Music: 274
Movies: 49
TV Shows: Friends Complete, S 1-10, 234 episodes
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:16 AM   #27
maxosx
macrumors 68020

After the frustrations of my two years of MobileMe's problems, I'm finding iCloud's not much better. It's terribly disappointing, since I just cannot trust it.

Because I bought a lot of new Apple gear recently (MBPr, MBA, iPads & iPhone 5) all running the latest versions of iOS / OS X it'd be really easy & convenient. I'm not alone in this dark abyss.

Here's more, I quote:

"Apple's broken promise: why doesn't iCloud 'just work?"

source:
http://bit.ly/ZCt1RI
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:38 AM   #28
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

iTunes in the Cloud is rock solid reliable - does not relate at all to iCloud for developers - not sure why you are bringing that article into this ...
musicpenguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 07:51 AM   #29
crhendo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
iTunes in the Cloud is rock solid reliable - does not relate at all to iCloud for developers - not sure why you are bringing that article into this ...
....ditto for me on that one. The iTunes store is rock solid from my experience as well.
crhendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:29 AM   #30
sulliweb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzz View Post
I agree with what you said. However...
The comment is very vague, it's neither here nor there.. Is it meant to be an educated reminder? Because I'd assume people who'd dig into this - would already know(or might have already known).

So are you... Not into buying any digital contents? or we're right now at the forefront of digital content and therefore it is a good time to get into it? or one shouldnt because there's going to be something new in the future?

It's like buying a TV/Player/iPhone/etc., there's no "last" one...
If I don't get into it and be comfortable with what I'd want - I'd be living with my cathode(?) TV, VHS(?) player, a landline(?) telephone[instead of a cell]... waiting for that elusive "last" one.

..I'm just saying..
My video library is about 75% digital at this point, so I'm perfectly happy with digital content.

There's just been quite a bit of discussion about moving to the format for fear of being locked in by DRM. I should have quoted the user, but my response was directed toward the statement:

Quote:
"For those of you who feel "safe" buying 1 or 2 movies a week - aren't you at all worried that one day you will want to switch to something other than Apple but you will find you can't because because that's where your collection is?"
I was only trying to point out that if you're worried about "one day" wanting to switch, you wouldn't be looking at a new media format in the first place, most likely. None of our collections will last forever, so worrying about switching between them isn't worth the effort.

The comment wasn't intended to be vague, and if you read the response just above it, it will probably make a little more sense in context. At least, it does for me.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:12 PM   #31
wzz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliweb View Post
I was only trying to point out that if you're worried about "one day" wanting to switch, you wouldn't be looking at a new media format in the first place, most likely. None of our collections will last forever, so worrying about switching between them isn't worth the effort.
I totally agree with you.. Anyone who isnt comfortable, shouldnt even look/get into it in the first place.
wzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Slartibartfass
macrumors newbie

I still prefer to buy dvd's and convert them digitally to mp4's and have the dvd as a backup. this will change if you can have cloud space at a affordable rate for 5-10 TB. Also play restrictions hold me back on buying movies/tv shows via iTunes.

1TB for movies (~500)
2TB for TV Shows (don't know how many episodes....)
75 GB for Music (mix of DVD and iTunes, love iTunes match)
25GB photos

I have everything backed up on multiple HDD's and stored away safely. Pictures in the cloud, too. Already almost lost my pictures once ($1,000 for data recovery....).
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:03 AM   #33
wzz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfass View Post
I still prefer to buy dvd's and convert them digitally to mp4's and have the dvd as a backup. this will change if you can have cloud space at a affordable rate for 5-10 TB. Also play restrictions hold me back on buying movies/tv shows via iTunes.

1TB for movies (~500)
25GB photos

I have everything backed up on multiple HDD's and stored away safely. Pictures in the cloud, too. Already almost lost my pictures once ($1,000 for data recovery....).
hi Slartibartfass, there's another thread for that somewhere in this section.
This thread is only for the ones in the iTunes Store, when you go to purchased section.
The figures can be seen under iTunes Store>Purchased>Movies/TVshows/etc..
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:24 AM   #34
emptysoul
macrumors regular

Movies - 1 (and I deeply regret it)
TV Shows - 16
Music - 0

I hate purchasing non-tangible digital content. It seems a complete waste of money to me.
emptysoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:11 AM   #35
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptysoul View Post
Movies - 1 (and I deeply regret it)
TV Shows - 16
Music - 0

I hate purchasing non-tangible digital content. It seems a complete waste of money to me.
What is your main playback device - if it is an Apple TV or an iPad? For me it is and that makes all of those DVDs hard to playback on my preferred devices. It's not for everyone - it sounds like you use a BluRay player/TV as your main playback device - if not why don't you like digital files that don't clutter your house.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfass View Post

1TB for movies (~500)
25GB photos

You do know that Apple has a "backup" of the movies and even when studios remove titles from sale Apple will keep it for you to restream or download.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:29 PM   #36
emptysoul
macrumors regular

I use an apple TV and rip my media to whatever format I want so I don't have to worry about DRM.

I also mainly rent movies rather than purchase them.
emptysoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:27 AM   #37
Weerez935
macrumors regular

Music: 9,760
Movies: 7
TV shows: 3

I love using imatch for my music. Because then my phone can be used like an iPod despite its limited capacity. It's not perfect but certainly much better than carrying around 1000 CDs.
I burned all my DVDs to a drive so I have a lot of movies, but my newer purchases have been through iTunes. I only really buy tv shows when I forget to TiVo something.
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:00 PM   #38
wzz
macrumors member

update this week:

music: 661
movies: 404
tv shows: 1304

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater