Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Alright. The only thing right now is that the 2600Xt is right above the 570, and the 570 fan grinds along the bottom of the car. Can I move the 2600xt to one of the x4 slots?

Yes you can. I have a 2008 3,1 Mac Pro and the 2600XT card is in the upper X4 slot 3 while on slot 1 is my GTX285 card. Both cards work fine.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
So I have a sinking feeling I bought the wrong RAM. This is the one I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/320781307198?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Is it the correct one?
You bought the wrong RAM. That doesn't even pretend to be Mac Pro memory. Some guys on the forum say that the heavy duty heat sinks aren't necessary but I am dubious. There is even fake RAM out there that is claimed to be compatible. I bought 4x4GB from crooks on Amazon called Komputerbay & had two DOA & the other two only registering as 2GB 667MHz instead of 4GB 800MHz. The thermal paste under the heat sinks was very messy so I suspect some sort of Frankenstein of used RAM that was out of spec faked up as Mac Pro FB-DIMMs with heat sinks glued on to make them look good. You would think that they would test them before sending them out when as they were so clearly defective

If you want to be sure that it will work then just bite the bullet & order from Crucial http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Xeon 5400 Series) 2nd Gen. Early 2008&Cat=RAM

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
The 3,1 Mac Pro is based on the Harpertown Penryn based technology and uses DDR2 800 Mhz memory.. While 800 Mhz will downclock to 667, you will be get better performance at 800mhz.

That looks okay. The 3,1 come with 667Mhz RAM unless I'm mistaken, but that should down clock just fine.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
There's no way I can afford 600 for a RAM upgrade, I did that because it was 175.
Unless you can sell on the RAM you have you just wasted $175. It's not the right spec for a Mac Pro & isn't even claimed to work so I have no idea why you thought that it would be OK. It's clearly described as "Memory Kit for Dell Precision T7400 Workstation". You will find the correct RAM cheaper than buying new from Crucial but buying from them is the guaranteed way of getting working memory.

How much RAM do you currently have? Perhaps a more modest upgrade would be affordable?

Stixx31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Florida
Unless you can sell on the RAM you have you just wasted $175. It's not the right spec for a Mac Pro & isn't even claimed to work so I have no idea why you thought that it would be OK. It's clearly described as "Memory Kit for Dell Precision T7400 Workstation". You will find the correct RAM cheaper than buying new from Crucial but buying from them is the guaranteed way of getting working memory.

How much RAM do you currently have? Perhaps a more modest upgrade would be affordable?

Well I had seen the RAM suggested on here as ones to use in it. I have 6 gigs in it at the moment. I can get a refund so that is a non-issue for me.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Well I had seen the RAM suggested on here as ones to use in it. I have 6 gigs in it at the moment. I can get a refund so that is a non-issue for me.
Apparently you missed this post. BTW quad rank (QR) memory is a no-no for Mac 3,1 and it is clearly stated in the item description from your earlier link..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.