Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 13, 2013, 08:23 PM   #26
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
And the Facebook version 6.1.1 update is already out, restoring the regular app icon.
That was quick
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 08:26 PM   #27
littlekelli
macrumors newbie

Thanks. (Don't I feel silly).

I couldn't figure it out. Thanks for your quick response!!!!!
littlekelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:06 PM   #28
designgeek
macrumors 65816

I thought I was crazy for a while with that beta icon.

Last edited by designgeek; May 13, 2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: damn i'm slow
designgeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:17 PM   #29
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casiotone View Post
This is soooo funny: people are freaking out about the "new" icon on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?...0icon&src=typd
I guess now that we've cured cancer and staved off global warming, we can go back to worrying about the other threats facing humanity.

I actually liked the icon... I accidentally updated over it.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 09:44 PM   #30
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalebra47 View Post
so is the new icon a mistake? or is this a sneak peak of the new 'flat' design?
Quite the contrary actually. It was flat and now this beta one isn't flat.
PS- Update with fix is out already.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:46 PM   #31
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And the Facebook version 6.1.1 update is already out, restoring the regular app icon.
screw that i'll stick around with this new look lol
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 10:04 PM   #32
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

The flat icon is back! Just took a screenshot of the beta icon and updated the app.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:55 AM   #33
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Boring.

When are we getting Facebook home?? Can't wait.
iChrist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 02:27 AM   #34
anshuvorty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Boring.

uh, like NEVER, cuz iOS is a closed system and Zuckerburg et al can't reverse engineer iOS into baking FB Home right into the system kernel itself.....
Old May 14, 2013, 02:52 AM   #35
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Boring.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/13/att-to-discontinue-facebook-phone-htc-first/
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 06:03 AM   #36
0dev
macrumors 68040

I missed out on the test icon
Old May 14, 2013, 08:48 AM   #37
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Does the app still do the hang-10 crash?

This is what I call it when I am browsing my feed and suddenly something "snags" (I assume it's trying to load something in the background), halting all scrolling and event handling. The screen just looks frozen.

Then I hit the Home button, go back to the app launcher, then go back into Facebook. I get the blank screen, and start counting 10 seconds. At exactly 10 seconds, it will crash and dump me back to the home screen.

Happens to me just about every day. My iPhone 4 feels slower than ever, and this app isn't helping at all.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:33 AM   #38
muzzymate
macrumors member

Why has no one mentioned the biggest change to the Facebook app of all - the new navigation tabs at the bottom replacing the traditional People, Chat, and Notifications buttons on the top? Makes Facebook act & look a lot more like Twitter or any other native iPhone app. Makes me like the app a lot more than before with this simple change.
muzzymate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:44 AM   #39
rodpascoe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
Why has no one mentioned the biggest change to the Facebook app of all - the new navigation tabs at the bottom replacing the traditional People, Chat, and Notifications buttons on the top? Makes Facebook act & look a lot more like Twitter or any other native iPhone app. Makes me like the app a lot more than before with this simple change.
Maybe because that has been in the previous version not this update? Think you missed an update my friend :-)
rodpascoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:15 AM   #40
muzzymate
macrumors member

I keep my apps updated because I don't like the red notification numbers staring at me. What I have doesn't match up with my previous usage of the app and how it looks in the screenshots on the iTunes Store. I guess I could have missed the change before but I use Facebook enough that I'm highly suspect.

http://cl.ly/OxPc - Current screen shot on the Facebook App Store page (tabs on the top, looks like the Facebook webpage). [Source - iTunes Store]

http://cl.ly/OxRO - Facebook 6.1 app with tabs on the bottom, more native. The hamburger in the top left has been replaced by a More button in the bottom right.

Last edited by muzzymate; May 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:19 AM   #41
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Does the app still do the hang-10 crash?

This is what I call it when I am browsing my feed and suddenly something "snags" (I assume it's trying to load something in the background), halting all scrolling and event handling. The screen just looks frozen.

Then I hit the Home button, go back to the app launcher, then go back into Facebook. I get the blank screen, and start counting 10 seconds. At exactly 10 seconds, it will crash and dump me back to the home screen.

Happens to me just about every day. My iPhone 4 feels slower than ever, and this app isn't helping at all.
Yup, still hangs, freezes, slows and still crash sometimes... Wish FB would focus more on fixing what they already have out there.

paul4339 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 11:53 AM   #42
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I keep my apps updated because I don't like the red notification numbers staring at me. What I have doesn't match up with my previous usage of the app and how it looks in the screenshots on the iTunes Store. I guess I could have missed the change before but I use Facebook enough that I'm highly suspect.

http://cl.ly/OxPc - Current screen shot on the Facebook App Store page (tabs on the top, looks like the Facebook webpage). [Source - iTunes Store]

http://cl.ly/OxRO - Facebook 6.1 app with tabs on the bottom, more native. The hamburger in the top left has been replaced by a More button in the bottom right.
I dont think its supposed to look like that im on 6.1 and it looks like what is posted in the screenshots from the app store i would try a re-install of the app and see if you get the same.

Last edited by mattburley7; May 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
mattburley7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 12:37 PM   #43
muzzymate
macrumors member

Strange. I'd update to 6.1.1 or reinstall 6.1 but I kinda dig the more natural UI elements. Think I'll keep it for now until there is a reason to move beyond 6.1.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:45 PM   #44
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Strange. I'd update to 6.1.1 or reinstall 6.1 but I kinda dig the more natural UI elements. Think I'll keep it for now until there is a reason to move beyond 6.1.
that's odd.. so you completely removed the app and re-downloaded and still looks the same
Old May 14, 2013, 12:51 PM   #45
muzzymate
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburley7 View Post
that's odd.. so you completely removed the app and re-downloaded and still looks the same
No, I'm avoiding redownloading or removing 6.1 (or updating to 6.1.1) because I like the look. Just wondering if anyone else had that happen after updating. Works perfectly fine that I can tell.
Old May 14, 2013, 01:13 PM   #46
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, I'm avoiding redownloading or removing 6.1 (or updating to 6.1.1) because I like the look. Just wondering if anyone else had that happen after updating. Works perfectly fine that I can tell.
i think you got a bad install or bug in the software update because I have not seen this for anyone that I know that has the facebook iOS 6.1. app.
Old May 14, 2013, 02:35 PM   #47
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:

Either it's some sort of a bad install, or perhaps it's something part of the new newsfeed related changes that have been rolling out (slowly) for a little while now, as mentioned at http://www.facebook.com/about/newsfeed. More likely it seems like a weird/bad install of some sort.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:50 PM   #48
mattburley7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Either it's some sort of a bad install, or perhaps it's something part of the new newsfeed related changes that have been rolling out (slowly) for a little while now, as mentioned at http://www.facebook.com/about/newsfeed. More likely it seems like a weird/bad install of some sort.
guess your not the only one who is seeing this...

http://allfacebook.com/bottom-menu-ios-app_b117545

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion