Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:40 PM   #26
ConCat
Banned

Believe it or not, I started with AppleScript on a first-gen iMac. I was amazed by how readable the syntax was, that I was able to just pick it up and use it (much like BASIC was for many of you guys). Now I'm doing Objective-C, C, C++ and JavaScript mostly (and AppleScript where applicable).
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:37 PM   #27
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Believe it or not, I started with AppleScript on a first-gen iMac. I was amazed by how readable the syntax was, that I was able to just pick it up and use it (much like BASIC was for many of you guys). Now I'm doing Objective-C, C, C++ and JavaScript mostly (and AppleScript where applicable).
I can still hardly use AppleScript... I have a single script I wrote about 9 months ago that I use on a fairly regular basis that takes whatever I have selected in an iWork app and saves it as a PNG with transparency. It took a lot of time to write... it's like 30 lines of code... basically needed to ask here for help with every line. It saves me a huge amount of time though since I regularly do vector based art in iWork to mockup my apps, and then I realize my mockup was perfect and I want it to use exactly it for my app.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:43 AM   #28
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I can still hardly use AppleScript... I have a single script I wrote about 9 months ago that I use on a fairly regular basis that takes whatever I have selected in an iWork app and saves it as a PNG with transparency. It took a lot of time to write... it's like 30 lines of code... basically needed to ask here for help with every line. It saves me a huge amount of time though since I regularly do vector based art in iWork to mockup my apps, and then I realize my mockup was perfect and I want it to use exactly it for my app.
Brilliant ! Most be an amazing feel to create something on you own specially if its usefull.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:45 AM   #29
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Brilliant ! Most be an amazing feel to create something on you own specially if its usefull.
I've found AppleScript to be one of the most useful scripting languages out there, especially given its easy access to the command-line. Whatever AppleScript can't do, chances are bash can.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:46 AM   #30
Hans Kamp
macrumors member

I have quite a history of programming.

I believe it was when I was 14 (now I am 46). I borrowed books from a library about programming. It was about Pascal. Computers were not as usual as they are now. Later on, I learned programming on a Commodore 64 with BASIC, later on with Simon's BASIC (which was an extension to it). I was 16 then.

At the same time, I learned actually to program in Pascal, using Pascal 64, which is a program for the Commodore.

At 18 I learned to program in C by means of Turbo C, a compiler from Borland. I tried to learn other programming languages, COMAL (similar to Visual Basic), COBOL (administration oriented language), but the most experienced I am in C and Pascal. Now I write macros for Excel. The programming language is Visual Basic for Applications.

If you read my first post in the topic about the newcomers, I also started learning to program with Xcode. In the first instance for the iPhone and the iPad, but - because I have an Apple MacBook Pro now - also for the Apple laptop itself. And... now I am here.

The visual environment makes programming very easy and encouraging. First I used Delphi (that is an IDE with a designer and event programming), later on C++Builder (the same IDE, but only C++ instead of Object Pascal), and now Xcode the IDE for the Apple.

Although I am a newbie, I am very eager to learn new things.
Hans Kamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:26 PM   #31
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
A lot of people started out with an Apple II and a bunch of magazine articles on Basic, until they could code up or copy and mod a simple game.

This was tons easier than learning C or Objective C, so succeeded with a vast number of kids, many who later moved on to more professional software engineering.
That sound nice. Unfortunately I wasn't born at the time of the Apple II release lol. But I appreciate all of the responses in this thread so far.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Kamp View Post
I have quite a history of programming.

I believe it was when I was 14 (now I am 46). I borrowed books from a library about programming. It was about Pascal. Computers were not as usual as they are now. Later on, I learned programming on a Commodore 64 with BASIC, later on with Simon's BASIC (which was an extension to it). I was 16 then.

At the same time, I learned actually to program in Pascal, using Pascal 64, which is a program for the Commodore.

At 18 I learned to program in C by means of Turbo C, a compiler from Borland. I tried to learn other programming languages, COMAL (similar to Visual Basic), COBOL (administration oriented language), but the most experienced I am in C and Pascal. Now I write macros for Excel. The programming language is Visual Basic for Applications.

If you read my first post in the topic about the newcomers, I also started learning to program with Xcode. In the first instance for the iPhone and the iPad, but - because I have an Apple MacBook Pro now - also for the Apple laptop itself. And... now I am here.

The visual environment makes programming very easy and encouraging. First I used Delphi (that is an IDE with a designer and event programming), later on C++Builder (the same IDE, but only C++ instead of Object Pascal), and now Xcode the IDE for the Apple.

Although I am a newbie, I am very eager to learn new things.
I agree. Everything being object oriented now makes programming really easy. I've done some small class assignments with pure C. It was a nightmare when I first started working with it as it was not object oriented at all.

After having my Apple Developer account for over 6 months I've finally opened xCode and jumped into some basic programming. Much easier with an IDE...
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming