Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:51 AM   #426
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince1990 View Post
Um, no? They stop selling a model after it's bumped from 3rd oldest in the lineup.
Again, no.

Wiki can help you.

iphone 1
iphone 3G
iphone 3G+3GS (2gens)
iphone 3GS+4 (2 gens)
iphone 3GS+4+4S (3 generations) first time they kept on a 3rd gen.
iphone 4+4S+5 (3 generations) first and only time they stopped selling when a product was bumped from 3rd place.

Last edited by Menel; Jun 26, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:54 AM   #427
jmcube
macrumors member

I am part of the 1%!

JM
jmcube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:51 PM   #428
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Most Android threats would be blocked if phones ran latest Android version, report says
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:57 PM   #429
pirg
Banned

Of course some will say they get core app updates so it doesn't matter!
pirg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:25 PM   #430
Mr Bigs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Yes, keep telling yourself that. In the end, you will believe it.
take your own advice.
Mr Bigs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:30 PM   #431
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
take your own advice.
I provided a source to back my claim. Can you do the same?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:32 AM   #432
Aljamaki
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndonian View Post
Well, no... although, some devs may have memories of the Vista upgrade when they use iOS7, since Aero Glass and Aero Peek are two of its big new features...
But this is still beta software.
Aljamaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:36 AM   #433
groovyd
macrumors regular

Quote:
How many iPhone 3GS's do you think were sold and are still in active use?

I'd estimate around 40-50 million were sold. Compared to around 700 million iOS devices that will likely be sold by the time iOS 7 is released.
I was referring to the iPod touch actually... in fact you really need to add up all the devices it doesn't support moving forward. i am pretty sure not too many of them have been thrown in the trash over the years but have been inherited around the world.
groovyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:34 PM   #434
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
I was referring to the iPod touch actually... in fact you really need to add up all the devices it doesn't support moving forward. i am pretty sure not too many of them have been thrown in the trash over the years but have been inherited around the world.
The 4th Gen iPod touch is only another 15-20million units at most. And all the other devices are covered by the current statistics since they were already unsupported with iOS 6. Nowhere near enough to fit your theory.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:49 PM   #435
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

iOS 6 support is still going to be around. Trust me. There are apps that still support iOS 5 even.

The iPod Touch is owned mostly by kids and teenagers without cellphones. I went through two iPods in my middle and high school years. The 3rd generation iPod and then the iPod Video. My brother has gone through two iPod Touch 4th generations, and I'm getting him a 5th as soon as I can. By the time that becomes obsolete, he will be ready to have an iPhone.

You want to talk about fragmentation? You should have been here when the iPod Touch with the microphone came out. THAT made the previous iPods obsolete, and it made people angry that their iPod wasn't supported just because it didn't have a microphone.

The 3GS was supported so long because it was a phone, and it was only discontinued from being on sale last year. When you sign a contract, the phone has to last you two years or more. Most iPods in the hands of kids break within three years, so there's no point in supporting something that most will probably replace this year anyway. It was getting sluggish anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #436
groovyd
macrumors regular

Quote:
The 4th Gen iPod touch is only another 15-20million units at most. And all the other devices are covered by the current statistics since they were already unsupported with iOS 6. Nowhere near enough to fit your theory.
So you cannot load iOS6 into any of the older iphones or ipod touches? I am pretty sure there are many more cumulative devices that are newly unsupported then your numbers tell.
groovyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:58 PM   #437
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
So you cannot load iOS6 into any of the older iphones or ipod touches? I am pretty sure there are many more cumulative devices that are newly unsupported then your numbers tell.
Nope.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:15 PM   #438
Aljamaki
macrumors newbie

It's worked perfectly every time I've selecte OK with no issues what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsat View Post
Apple shouldn't make so much noise about this. Google might start paying attention.

Also, it's not like everyone is upgrading by choice.
Try and restore your iPhone and not upgrade to iOS6. Unless you are saving signed blobs, you are pretty much getting iOS6.

(Yes there are ways, but the average user is pushing OK, upgrading iTunes and iOS to latest versions and just hoping their text messages are still there and their home button works again.)
Aljamaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion