Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I have two iPads in front of me - mine (iPad 3, WiFi only) and a friend's (iPad 4, WiFi and 3G). The iPad 4 has no data plan yet. Both iPads have iOS 6.0.1.

My iPad is and stays connected to my WiFi network (as well as my iMac and two MacBooks) but the iPad 4 looses the connection all the time and very often does not even join the network (message: "Unable to join the network xxx"). This is basically true for both of my networks (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). It works somehow better for the 2.4 GHz network and is very bad with the 5 GHz network). Restarting the iPad does not help.

What I also notice is that the iPad 4 is seeing less available networks than the iPad 3 (but it always sees both of my networks).

Any idea what might be wrong here and how it can be fixed? I know there is already an iOS 6.0.2 but as far as I know it is only for the iPad mini and the iPhone 5 and anyway my iPads here say that the software is up to date with iOS 6.0.1 and an update is not possible.

Last edited:

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I have the same issue. mini connects but drops them often. it will then reconnect on its own,and then do the same thing again and again. mine is better on 2.4 also. I am hoping we get the iOS update like the iPhone that addressed wifi issues. if not i am returning mine before my holiday return period is over....

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I deleted the networks on the router and recreated them again and now both iPads do connect to both networks. No idea why this was necessary.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Mine is fine ever since I got it, I'm so happy with it. Maybe yours is faulty? Or is your wifi signal weak?

Marcus304

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
temp fix for u

FYI and To Whom it may Concern:

I'm a Sr. Software Engineer/Architect on the Windows and UNIX side.

Okay, I've read all the threads related to this problem and I'm using a Netgear WNDR4500 router. I did all the resets of my router both turn off/On and wait 30 sec. Renew lease all of that stuff. tried another access point via my smartphone Android. My device sees the AP however will not connect. Someone posted try to attache to Other in the Wi-Fi settings .. NOPE.

So, here is the quick remedy for short fix of this problem.

1. Go to Settings
2. Go/Tap on General Settings
3. Scroll all the way to the bottom and Tap on Reset.
4. Tap on "Reset Network Settings"
5. The device will do its thing blank screen however .. My device access the Wi-Fi at this time..

Pass info on and Apple please fix the bug. I believe that some of the Apps out
there are accessing the IP stack and determining the Wi-Fi signal strength for
real time game play is causing the problem.:eek:

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I had this prob, really ****** wifi. I used my router to diagnose that I had really ****** weak wifi signal, other devices had about 30% signal whereas iPad had 1-2%. Took it to apple and eventually (multiple visits) got it swapped out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.