Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harddriveowner

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
With Lion Macthe Ripper is no longer an option. Have purchased DVDFab. It is totally worthless. Is there anyhting good out there for Lion for ripping commerical DVD's?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
With Lion Macthe Ripper is no longer an option. Have purchased DVDFab. It is totally worthless. Is there anyhting good out there for Lion for ripping commerical DVD's?

What do you find wrong with DVDFab? I've never had a DVD that wouldn't rip with the Windows version, except for a DVD that had a bad scratch on it. The Mac version of DVDFab was able to rip that scratched DVD ... but the video on the scratched section was corrupt and there are errors and artifacts.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Compared to Mac the Ripper this is real work. There must be an easier way.

MacTheRipper just ripped the video DVD, there was nothing more it did.
Do you just want to rip the video DVD and store the resulting VIDEO_TS folder with its .vob files or do you want to have a nice .mp4/.m4v or .mkv file?
If it is the former, you can use the applications linked to under the ripper section of that first link.
If you want to have the compressed file, use HandBrake and VLC Player as described in the first link.

I forgot to remove the second link, so don't let that link intimidate you, if that is what you refer to with "real work". Or you can be more specific what you actually mean, as guessing gets tiresome.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
MakeMKV is ideal is you just want the main movie in a single file (mkv) without any quality loss. You can then run the mv through handbrake if you want something compatible with iOS devices (though you can normally encode a DVD direct from HB, unless it has insane copy protection).

harddriveowner

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Handbrake is great for iOS devices. Most of the world is still using DVD players. Mac The Ripper would would quickly rip the DVD and then it could be recreated with Popcorn or Toast.
I won DVD Fab. It is worthless and if you monitor its own forums, my opinion is common. There mist be a similar program to MTR for Lion.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Handbrake is great for iOS devices. Most of the world is still using DVD players. Mac The Ripper would would quickly rip the DVD and then it could be recreated with Popcorn or Toast.
I won DVD Fab. It is worthless and if you monitor its own forums, my opinion is common. There mist be a similar program to MTR for Lion.

I still don't understand your frustration with DVDFab, but alas, I'm only using it for the DVD copy function. It rips a VIDEO_TS folder just like MTR would. Do the other features of DVDFab suck? I only used MTR up to 2.6.6, so I'm not sure what other features MTR had in newer releases. Did MTR also burn DVDs?

Perhaps if you just use the ripping feature on DVDFab, then use a second app to burn a DVD. Toast still works with Lion, right?

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Sorry to see this, I have never used DVDFab before, I bought leawo DVD Ripper for Mac last year and have used it for almost one year. It is useful. With this program, enjoy my favorite dvd on iPhone is easy. So you can have a try.

Note: Try the free version first if you are going to buy it.

ksmythia

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
mpeg streamclip and missing component

I'm having a hard time getting mpeg streamclip downloaded. I have read all the notes on the squared 5 page and it's still not working. I have mountain lion and it says I need the original dmg file and not the package that downloads. Has anyone had luck with this?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm having a hard time getting mpeg streamclip downloaded. I have read all the notes on the squared 5 page and it's still not working. I have mountain lion and it says I need the original dmg file and not the package that downloads. Has anyone had luck with this?

What do you want to accomplish with the video DVD footage and what components exactly do you fail to download with what browser?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.