Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
You don't need speeds anywhere near this to stream 1080p. If you are having buffering issues, the problem lies elsewhere than your link bandwidth.

Bluray, for example, typically needs a bit less than 20mbit/sec, (although the spec allows up to 50mbit/sec, but that would be for resolutions higher than 1080p).

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
I don't wanna hijack the thread but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people in here in regards to home networking. I just have one question.

When I go into the airport utility and see a list of devices connect to my airport express, I see that, for instance, my macbook has a connection speed of 130mbps. Then when I go and do a speed test I get a speed of 16mbps. How does this happen? Is the 130 just a hypothetical "max" connection speed and the 16mbps is what my actual connection is? I just wanna make sure I maximize my connection speed. Thanks

You are talking about two different connections here. When you run a speed test (on websites such at speedtest.net) you are measuring your actual internet speed, which is dependent on your ISP and what you pay for. This measures your speed outside of your local network. In your case is is approximately 16 Mb/s.

The 130 Mb/s is your speed within your network. This is only the speed between your MacBook and your router, no further. If you want to "maximize" your connection speed you would have to pay for 130 Mb/s internet through your ISP. The max so far that I have seen for residential use is 100 Mb/s through Comcast and Time Warner for about $200 a month.

dduttonnc

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
When you say "straight to my Apple TV by Ethernet", do you mean with a crossover Ethernet cable? If so, do you have one rated for Gigabit speeds? If not, then you're only getting 100 Mbps, which is slower than a good 802.11n connection. Gigabit Ethernet requires what is effectively a "double crossover" cable, in which both sets of wires are crossed over, as opposed to just the 10/100 set of wires. Hence the need for a Gigabit-rated crossover cable.

Also, are you doing the "Computers" option on the AppleTV, or are you going directly to Movies/TV Shows/Photos/etc? If you're going through Movies/TV Shows/Photos/etc, then it's using your internet connection, which is probably the slow part, rather than streaming directly from the computer.

Odd you should need cross over cables. The need should have vanished in the last 10 yrs. most modern devices handle all that internally so you don't need one. It appears the atv3 does not. Lame

But it has one antenna and has a limit of 144Mbps on wifi. With over head , signal, that's about 100Mbps. So you should see the same perf, but apple should have fixed it so no X over cable is needed.

But if the atv3 can get nearly a full 1Gps, then itunes to atv3 over ethernet would b VERY fast

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
AppleTV's WiFi is limited to 70 Mbps, and as mentioned there's all sorts of flotsam and overhead so you'll never get those speeds anyway. Use wired Ethernet.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
crossover cables are only for specific uses like computer to computer

difference between a cross over and regular ethernet is the order of the wires

dduttonnc

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
You are talking about two different connections here. When you run a speed test (on websites such at speedtest.net) you are measuring your actual internet speed, which is dependent on your ISP and what you pay for. This measures your speed outside of your local network. In your case is is approximately 16 Mb/s.

The 130 Mb/s is your speed within your network. This is only the speed between your MacBook and your router, no further. If you want to "maximize" your connection speed you would have to pay for 130 Mb/s internet through your ISP. The max so far that I have seen for residential use is 100 Mb/s through Comcast and Time Warner for about $200 a month.

I pay 450$/month for a Twc 100/20 pipe. But that's a business account. Why? You get QOS data priority over residential data anywhere in the Twc network. So during prime time, I don't slow, my neighbors do. And if their backbone is overloaded, I won't slow as it slow residential first

But apple limits DL from iTunes and app stores to about 35-45Mbps (not per connection .. Total to your routers public IP). Many sites also have limits for DLiing. Most cap at 50Mbps

But this lets everyone in my house do stuff at once and not slow down

I now have 2 802.11ac routers, both have 2.4 radios disabled. Each runs 80mhz wide 36-48 & 149-161. The upstairs is router plus ap, downstairs is AP. Both connected by a cat 7 100Gps cable for future upgrades. Each router has a max port speed of 10gps as once 160mhz wide AC comes out, I think that's nearly 3Gps. I hired a cabling company to run a drop for me. I should have had another drop to the master bedroom and added a 4 port, 10gps switching hub. Nothing I have uses that, but I buy for the future

Upstairs, master bedroom: DVR, ps4, atv3 are wireless. Desktops wired with 10Gps cards. Upstairs runs the upper channels of the 5Ghz band in N+AC only

Lv room, downstairs: same AC router, but in AP mode. Xbox one, DVR , atv3 are wired. The ap runs in the 4 lower 5g band. I have a 3500sq FT house and the 5ghz signal doesn't make it from one floor to the next

15ft away from my house, my routers can be seen at -90db (which means I can't interfere with neighboring 5g networks)

My household has 3 iPhone 5s, 2 ipad Airs, and 1 ipad 4 which roam and need to aps. Same SSID, just different channels.

The only time 2.4 ghz is turned on is if company has a 2.4 only device

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
way too much to pay for this cloud thing. why not DL itunes to a computer and stream from inside your house?

I pay 450$/month for a Twc 100/20 pipe. But that's a business account. Why? You get QOS data priority over residential data anywhere in the Twc network. So during prime time, I don't slow, my neighbors do. And if their backbone is overloaded, I won't slow as it slow residential first

But apple limits DL from iTunes and app stores to about 35-45Mbps (not per connection .. Total to your routers public IP). Many sites also have limits for DLiing. Most cap at 50Mbps

I now have 2 802.11ac routers, both have 2.4 radios disabled. Each runs 80mhz wide 36-48 & 149-161. The upstairs is router plus ap, downstairs is AP. Both connected by a cat 7 100Gps cable for future upgrades. Each router has a max port speed of 10gps as once 160mhz wide AC comes out, I think that's nearly 3Gps. I hired a cabling company to run a drop for me. I should have had another drop to the master bedroom and added a 4 port, 10gps switching hub. Nothing I have uses that, but I buy for the future

Upstairs, master bedroom: DVR, ps4, atv3 are wireless. Desktops wired with 10Gps cards. Upstairs runs the upper channels of the 5Ghz band in N+AC only

Lv room, downstairs: same AC router, but in AP mode. Xbox one, DVR , atv3 are wired. The ap runs in the 4 lower 5g band. I have a 3500sq FT house and the 5ghz signal doesn't make it from one floor to the next

15ft away from my house, my routers can be seen at -90db (which means I can't interfere with neighboring 5g networks)

My household has 3 iPhone 5s, 2 ipad Airs, and 1 ipad 4 which roam and need to aps. Same SSID, just different channels.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009

I made that post almost a year ago... Quite a bit has changed since then...

Congrats on being rich and bragging about it on the macrumors forums though!

I'm perfectly content with my 50/10 Mb/s residential class cable for $30 a month from Comcast. 99.9% uptime, and after 3 years I have never seen a speed test fall below 50 Mb/s (I generally get 56-60).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.