Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
:eek: is that the reason why Apple gave us another free year of storage in iCloud ? They didn't bothered anymore to collect the pile of money for it. And the iPad Mini will be a freebie for all iPad owner, too. :cool:
:D

Yes.

I will also enable you to die a fulfilled philanthropist. Just give me all your money before time runs out.

You're welcome.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I've completely forgotten about this. Would have been sad if it came and I didn't realize until that day. But, a part of me is hoping this is true. I've never been afraid of dying; I've done all I what wanted to do in my life. I'm curious and excited to see what may happen, if anything. Though, the other part is that my nieces (2,3,3y/o) and nephew (2y/o) won't be around anymore.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
There was, iirc, once upon a time - a doomsday cult that predicted the imminent end of the world, because God or the aliens or the Mayans had grown tired the profit-making, money-grubbing, inhumane society we had created.

When the predicted dooms-day came and went, the newspaper confronted the leader of the cult - expecting the usual "we recalculated" or "the aliens gave us an 11th hour clemency" or the usual stuff... Instead the leader simply stated that the world had in fact ended as scheduled, but that the world was too caught up in their wickedness to have noticed the change.

I always liked that one. When I hear about a new end-of-the-world prediction now, I just murmur to myself... "What? Again?!"

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
1000 rounds of 5.56 for my Bravo Company AR-15, 1000 rounds of 9mm for my glock 19 and bug out bags for me and my gf.

I figured anything else we need we'll get it from someone or somewhere.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
I lived in "that world" and I don't feel misplaced. :p

Maybe you don't, but think about it for a second: I was born in a world where the top text processor was an electrical typewriter - and my mother cried because she couldn't pay me a course to learn how to operate one, and today any 6-year-old child can create a text document better than the ones those machines could do.

Another thing to consider: until very recently, parents thought children about the world (the real one). Then in a single generation children start teaching their parents about the digital world - and they are so good that they become a threat to companies and even governments (US included)...

If you still not feeling misplaced, you are a lucky one, but check with the elders around you and see what they think about it ;)

@Jimbo47: party wrecker! T_T Just kidding :p

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you still not feeling misplaced, you are a lucky one, but check with the elders around you and see what they think about it ;)

Most 'elders' I know are embracing a lot of the new technologies. I had a good conversation with my Dad yesterday trying to convince him to wait until the rumours surrounding the iPad mini pan out before buying a 7" tablet as he's set his mind on getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. :)

I went to a big family wedding recently and it was fascinating to watch my older relatives and their young grandchildren using iPads to play games and view photos taken on the day. A few years ago getting into computing was too complicated and needlessly over confusing but devices like the iPad have made technology accessible to all ages.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I think whoever made the Mayan Calendar decided that he had covered plenty of time by getting up to 2012 and assumed someone would continue his work after his death.

That obviously never happened and now it is being interpreted as the end of the world. Oh well, I booked the day before off work anyway. If the world is to end, I'm taking a days long bow.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Didn't they discover some older mayan ruins that made this an even more ridiculous claim. However don't let me fool you. I hope the end of the world happens so we can go back to a much simpler life of weed and food consumption.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Most 'elders' I know are embracing a lot of the new technologies. I had a good conversation with my Dad yesterday trying to convince him to wait until the rumours surrounding the iPad mini pan out before buying a 7" tablet as he's set his mind on getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. :)

I went to a big family wedding recently and it was fascinating to watch my older relatives and their young grandchildren using iPads to play games and view photos taken on the day. A few years ago getting into computing was too complicated and needlessly over confusing but devices like the iPad have made technology accessible to all ages.

Ok, agreed. iDevices indeed broke the ice between technology and people. My father for one was a James Bond fan - you know, having a smart gadget for every situation - and I remember he used to walk around with a Bat-utility belt - not a pleasant sight to see :(

Then I convinced him to get an iPhone, and his life changed. Now he only carries it and a Nokia N95 as spare around - he's a doctor, must always be reachable. Now he's convincing other people to change to iDevices :D

Thank God we had Steve for the last decade to lead the tech revolution we live today!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So this is a large site with lots of members.

Anyone on here genuinely believe the world is going to end?

If so please feel free to drop your valuables off at my house.

Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.