Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cosettere

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
So AirPlay takes whatever's playing in iTunes and streams to the Apple TV 2.0... I wonder if the Apple TV actually processes anything...

Can anyone check if this works? Mine's arriving tomorrow :)

This is clever. I guess I forgot QuickTime can do this since QT has problems sometimes playing some .avi files. Great idea though. One thing that is aggravating, thinking back to the days when I was still on windows, if you had a .wmv file you new it was windows, or music .wma. And if mac based .aac or .avi. Why Apple does not offer support in iTunes for its own file types is baffling!?! Obviously .mp4 is more of a cross platform standard. But, I believe it would have made sense to support .avi files in iTunes. I love my Apple TV, I stream my movies. But, it takes awhile to convert to .mp4 so that I can have this convenience. Mountain Lion come with full AirPlay capabilities and will makes this easier. I'm using Airparrot now and it works great, using AVS media player to play .avi or even .mkv files. Anywway, thanks for info!

Ramused

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Any newer solution for this?

iTunes is the best option to stream content to apple tv, but its hard to find good quality mp4 movies and tvshows =(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.