Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
This is an odd problem that popped up recently. When I switch to an app by either command-tab or via Alfred, the app switches, and I go to the space but the window is not activated.
Simple example: I command-tab over to TextEdit, which already has one window open. Ordinarily I could just start typing and all would be fine, but lately typing only generates the "stop hitting the keyboard" sound, because the app has switched but the active window is not active. I have tried removing some recent startup items to rule them out, but they do not seem to be the problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

ej00262

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
I have been experiencing the same extremely aggravating issue. Anyone have any ideas??

samuel457

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I'm having the same trouble after recently switching to Mountain Lion from Lion. Can you guys give some details about your computers/problems, so we can figure out a common cause?

I have a MBA 13" I bought about 6 months ago. Just upgraded to 10.8.2. Whenever I switch to a new space/program, it's the active window for about 2 seconds, and then it's not. This means I can type in that window for those 2 seconds before I have to click on it again to make it my active window.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Mine is an early '08 MacPro running 10.8.2

One thing I did try was creating a new user, and that does not exhibit this problem. My theory is it is either a Login item or combination of Login items causing this, but I have as yet to pinpoint which one. The ones I have are:
FontExplorerXAutoload
YouControl Engine
System Events
AdobeResourceSynchronizer
Canon IJ Network Scan Utility
Alfred
EvernoteHelper
iTunesHelper
Google Drive*
Typinator*
MenuPop*
CheatSheet
Bartender*
DropBox
Default Folder X Helper*

* recent additions

Last edited:

samuel457

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
FIXED (for me)

The issue was Live Wallpaper's newest update. Disabled it, and it went back to normal. Other people have had similar success by killing processes until the problem goes away. I am so relieved right now. Words cannot express it. That was incredibly annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.