Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbo91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Hey guys,

So I was studying for an exam, and I had maybe 16 .pptx files open in preview (so just looking at the still slides).

Obviously, with 10.8 being super user friendly and all, it keeps these arranged in the way I left them (which was 4 in each corner of the screen, over a few desktops) when I turned the computer off.

So when I resumed to study the next day, the .pptx files all open at once and the whole Preview app basically destroyed itself. All the windows for each file are open, but with the activity indicator spinning non-stop. I cannot use any of the menu items up the top of the screen.

I have to use either Activity Monitor or the command line to kill Preview, but this does not reset the window configuration (meaning it tries to open all my windows again and I am stuck with the same problem no matter what I do). Activity Monitor also notes that Preview takes up 110% of CPU usage...

If anyone has any advice on what to do, I would be really grateful. Exams are over, but it would be good to have a fully functioning Preview app again...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe if you go to the General pane in system prefs and set recent items to zero it will stop opening all those files.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hey guys,

So I was studying for an exam, and I had maybe 16 .pptx files open in preview (so just looking at the still slides).

Obviously, with 10.8 being super user friendly and all, it keeps these arranged in the way I left them (which was 4 in each corner of the screen, over a few desktops) when I turned the computer off.

So when I resumed to study the next day, the .pptx files all open at once and the whole Preview app basically destroyed itself. All the windows for each file are open, but with the activity indicator spinning non-stop. I cannot use any of the menu items up the top of the screen.

I have to use either Activity Monitor or the command line to kill Preview, but this does not reset the window configuration (meaning it tries to open all my windows again and I am stuck with the same problem no matter what I do). Activity Monitor also notes that Preview takes up 110% of CPU usage...

If anyone has any advice on what to do, I would be really grateful. Exams are over, but it would be good to have a fully functioning Preview app again...

check the "Close Windows When Quitting An Application" box in the "General" Prefpane in System Preferences, then open a single image preview and see if it works. Then you can uncheck the box....

j08r6f.jpg

If that doesn't work, you can delete the preview plist file

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.