Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

EA's Origin Coming to Mac!

EA has announced in this video that they're bringin their Steam-like game distribution software store to OS X and other devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XjN...BQquL2B8vO82WW

I just hope it's written at least twice as well as that crappy OS X Steam port
Tucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

No thanks, EA is kind of a joke in the gaming world.
Pakaku is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

I don't think it will work. Macs can't get viruses.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

OH YEAH!

I can't wait for this giant infested pile of crapware to land on OS X! It's just what I've been waiting for! Now I can spend hours troubleshooting Origin and chasing around all the background processes it'll inevitably spawn instead of playing my "ported"/emulated Cider games!

Go EA go!

Quote:
They can't even port games to OS X natively. What makes you think Origin would be any different? I'm willing to bet that Origin for OS X will make Steam look like a well written and designed piece of software.

-SC
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:17 AM   #5
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Origin is an abysmal piece of trash even on Windows.

The only reason I have it around is to play Battlefield 3...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

I hated Steam games on the Windows platform, and wouldn't install it on any of My Macs either. I dislike the concept, and prefer to own my games, buying either from the MAS or reputable downloads from the software developers.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:41 AM   #7
chaosbunny
macrumors 68000

To be fair the Mac App Store has DRM too.

I quit buying and playing EA games because of Origin. I don't even want to install it on my Windows drive. No more stupid accounts for stupid DRM spyware please.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:03 AM   #8
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom View Post
EA has announced in this video that they're bringin their Steam-like game distribution software store to OS X and other devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XjN...BQquL2B8vO82WW

Two times zero still equals zero . . .

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
No thanks, EA is kind of a joke in the gaming world.
Yeah, funny like this one:

A horse walks into a bar to get to the other side.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:12 AM   #9
MacGamerHQ
macrumors member

Does any one know when they are planning on actually releasing it? Even more importantly, does anyone know what "new" games could come to the mac with it (the only advantage I see right now)?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:45 AM   #10
psharp
macrumors member

So does this mean that the only means to obtain Sim City 5 will be their origin store?
psharp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCaptain View Post
OH YEAH!

I can't wait for this giant infested pile of crapware to land on OS X! It's just what I've been waiting for! Now I can spend hours troubleshooting Origin and chasing around all the background processes it'll inevitably spawn instead of playing my "ported"/emulated Cider games!

Go EA go!

They can't even port games to OS X natively. What makes you think Origin would be any different? I'm willing to bet that Origin for OS X will make Steam look like a well written and designed piece of software.

-SC

I have Origin installed, and it's not bad at all, sometimes it spikes CPU usage but just a simple restart takes care of that. Secondly, WHO can't even port games to OS X natively? All of Valve's Steam titles are native OS X ports, I don't know what the heck you're talking about..

I'd still prefer the Mac App Store over Steam or Origin anyday though.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Dagless
macrumors Core

Urgh, Origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I hated Steam games on the Windows platform, and wouldn't install it on any of My Macs either. I dislike the concept, and prefer to own my games, buying either from the MAS or reputable downloads from the software developers.
Truth is you don't own any software. You buy it on Steam, you bought a license to play it on Steam. You bought the disc, you bought a license to install it from the disc and play it.

Even DRM-free games (which Steam has btw, this includes my games on there) aren't "yours". You get a license to run it even with DRM free.

Open Source is what you want. Even then you have to abide by some rules.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:15 AM   #13
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by psharp View Post
So does this mean that the only means to obtain Sim City 5 will be their origin store?
Online. But even if you buy it via retail, you will be prompted to activate the game on Origin and you'll be required to play it through Origin.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:49 AM   #14
chaosbunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Urgh, Origin.

Truth is you don't own any software. You buy it on Steam, you bought a license to play it on Steam. You bought the disc, you bought a license to install it from the disc and play it.

Even DRM-free games (which Steam has btw, this includes my games on there) aren't "yours". You get a license to run it even with DRM free.

Open Source is what you want. Even then you have to abide by some rules.
Good source of DRM free games: www.gog.com

Too bad not all digital software distribution is like that. The Witcher games are amazing and they just have a 5 indie games for 10$ sale:

http://www.gog.com/pick_5_pay_10

Places like this deserve support!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:14 AM   #15
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosbunny View Post
Places like this deserve support!
Oh they do. But non-intrusive DRM doesn't bother me. I understand it needs to be there, that deals can hang on the inclusion of it etc. I wouldn't pay more for DRM free, but I do only buy my games on Steam.

GoG are a great bunch though!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom View Post
I have Origin installed, and it's not bad at all, sometimes it spikes CPU usage but just a simple restart takes care of that. Secondly, WHO can't even port games to OS X natively? All of Valve's Steam titles are native OS X ports, I don't know what the heck you're talking about..

I'd still prefer the Mac App Store over Steam or Origin anyday though.
EA's games aren't native. They use Transgaming Cider (and therefore WINE), and keep saying that they're native- but they're not. If the games were native they'd be running via OpenGL and not through a Direct X -> OpenGL interpreter.

My point was that if EA can't even get their act together and release *actual* native OS X games (I'm confused as to why anyone thinks SimCity is going to be native) without the ******** emulation layer in-between, why on earth would they be able to write proper software for OS X?

VALVe is one of the few companies who has actually bothered to port stuff to OS X. I put up with Steam because playing Portal 2 natively was more convenient then dealing with Bootcamp. In that regard, I respect VALVe more then I do EA because they actually put the effort into building a proper OpenGL backend for the Source engine and compiling against OS X.

-SC
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCaptain View Post
I respect VALVe more then I do EA because they actually put the effort into building a proper OpenGL backend for the Source engine
Well, sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarris
I wrote the native OpenGL module for Source Mac. It presents a DX9 compatible interface to the engine, engine calls me, I call GL, dots appear.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:21 PM   #18
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
You can say anything you want about how valve have done their osx porting, but it is fast and stable.

There are not many gaming companies that takes mac seriously, so valve is actually the best of the bunch, although not perfect.
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluthz View Post
You can say anything you want about how valve have done their osx porting, but it is fast and stable.

There are not many gaming companies that takes mac seriously, so valve is actually the best of the bunch, although not perfect.

That may be true for most of their titles, but Team Fortress 2 runs like crap on OSX compared to Windows. Now Portal 2 for example seems to run as well on OS X as it does on Windows (with my own very uncontrolled, presuming testing)

And Steam isn't nearly as well coded for OS X as it is for Windows, hopefully one day that will change.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:10 PM   #20
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluthz View Post

I agree, Valve games are the best ported OS X games.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games